End of Day

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was a field that I was continually working on last year. I loved all the changes through the summer.

Specific Feedback

The sun was setting and lightning up the background not sure if it makes the foreground shadows look too dark? Anything else

Technical Details

Nikon D3400, ISO100, f25, 153mm, 1/8 , up and down movement

2 Likes

This is very lovely with a pleasing amount of abstraction! The lighting is wonderful and I don’t find the FG too dark at all. It makes me feel that I’m sitting in a peaceful and cool shade while enjoying the remains of soft light on the meadow. The yellow and pink at the top make me wish for a bit more canvas there, to have the colors be framed by grasses, but of course it’s likely there was something in the way, or that a wider shot didn’t capture the magic of the motion, so that’s a small point.

The field looks like a great area. I hope you’ll keep letting us enjoy it!

1 Like

Hi Vanessa, I like your image. Thanks for sharing it. I don’t find the foreground distracting or too dark.

Aesthetics & Storytelling:
The applied motion gives the image this lively and airy impression. I get this feeling that Spring has arrived. Glad to see ICM used to tell a story. Other things that stood out to me were the two triangle shapes created by the flowers. Let me know if you want me to show you the shapes.

Technical:

• Depth:

I like the depth in your image. Depth is created through transitions. You have dark to light transition which helps to add more depth to the scene. Another transitional element is color transition. In the edited version I uploaded, I cooled down the shadows in the foreground just a bit to help accentuate the transition from cool to warm up top.

• Edge patrol:
    The original image had a gap in the upper right corner where there were no flowers. I cropped in a just a bit to help fill the frame.

• Other Considerations:
    For the proposed edits, I added some negative clarity to help accentuate the dreaminess of the image and reduce the high frequency texture in the grass. Bumped up the dehaze just slightly to help boost saturation. Adjusted the red and green colors slightly.

2 Likes

Vanessa, you are getting good with the ICM technique. I tried it a few weeks ago and I wasn’t happy with the results. Someone one has to learn how much motion, SS, etc. I like what you posted, and I also like what @Alfredo_Mora did with it too.

1 Like

Thank you, Vanessa, for sharing this beautiful picture. I have learned from reading the posts by @Diane_Miller , @Alfredo_Mora , and @Shirley_Freeman . I was somewhat bothered by the dark foreground. Cooling the shadows in the foreground as well as the other edits took care of the issue for me and blended it in. Thanks to all of you for a great learning experience.

2 Likes

Hi @Diane_Miller ! Yeah, that’s about as far up as I could go because of a road with traffic and signs! So it was a challenge to get exactly just the small field and make it look like your in a really big one! I don’t live there anymore so can’t do anymore practice but have a few more shots I hope to share sometime. Thanks for your feedback and support!

Hello @Alfredo_Mora ! Thank you so much for your detailed description of why this image works and how to improve it! I too think it has a dreamy look to it. I really like what you did with it. I have to try to do it myself as best I can with your instructions. Thanks for that! And I keep looking for the triangles. I think I can see what you are seeing , but I’m not sure. Please show me where your looking!

Thank you so much for comments @Shirley_Freeman . I’m glad you like it. It does take a lot of practice and a lot of failures! I would never do this with film!

1 Like

Thanks @Barbara_Djordjevic . Yes that’s what I love about this community is we can learn so much, not just from feedback on our own images but reading the feedback on others images as well! Glad you’re here too!

1 Like