Yuba River Rush - Repost

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was Spring run off a few years back along the North Fork of the Yuba River in Northern California. You can see how the gold gets washed out from these heavy flows in the Spring for the gold panners to collect each year. It is estimated that 80% to 90% of the gold is still left in California, but it takes incredible effort at a big cost to get it out of the earth.

Specific Feedback

This was shot in pretty deep shade in the late afternoon. It feels pretty cold to me. I applied a small amount of warming filter (15%) to the rocks and water flow in the center.

Technical Details

Canon 40D, f22, 2.5 sec, iso 100, -0.3 exp bias, 24 mm, (24-105 lens)

Ed, the flow in the river looks great and I like how it heads off to the right just before the bottom of the frame. You’ve got a fine sense of depth here. I do think that the contrast in the mid-ground rocks is too strong and there’s too much blue in the water. Interestingly enough, the greens seem right.

Ed,
I like your viewpoint for this image along with the way the water flow is directed out the LRC of the frame. The backstory about the gold panning is perfectly matched to this wonderful image. I agree with @Mark_Seaver thoughts on the mid ground contrast as it appears just a little strong; at least to me. This has a nice wilderness vibe to it.

@Mark_Seaver and @Ed_Lowe thank you for your help with this one. I went back and reworked it to tone down the contrast. I think it really helped. I also tried to adjust the blues. I really see a difference, and it seems to be more realistic. Please see repost.

The redo is a big improvement!

I really like the reworked version!

Thank you @Mark_Seaver and @Denise_Dethlefsen.