Zabriskie Point, A Different Take

I noticed this view as I was driving away from the Death Valley Observation point. It just struck me as being a little bit different from the traditional, iconic view and a bit more interesting.

Specific Feedback Requested

Not seeking specific feedback on this image.

Technical Details

Canon R5, Canon Lens RF 24-240 f/4-6.3 IS USM, Set at f /11.0, @ 1/1000, ISO 320. Processed Using Topaz Denoise and Sharpen AI, and Photoshop Camera Raw B&W conversion, Dodging and Burning.

Hi Robert! This is very cool as presented, I like the dramatic spotlighting on Manly Beacon (supported by your very tasteful black and white processing) and the unconventional perspective.

The panoramic format would certainly work well where panoramas are required, such as for a banner image online. But I feel the large lit wall on the right is a bit too homogenous to take up that much of the frame, if you’re not married to the panoramic aspect ratio for this one. It overpowers the beacon, rather than supporting it. This could be mitigated by darkening/vignetting from the lower-right corner, in an upward-and-leftward direction.

But then there’s also the fact that the background layers converge and meet the foreground ridge right near the upper right corner, which creates a bit of tension that pulls me away from the “meat” of the composition and over to that edge.

I think some combination of cropping off the right (so as to exclude the triangular convergence of layers) and darkening from the lower-right makes it a lot easier to “settle in” to the composition as a viewer (see suggestion attached).

Whatever you decide to do, I like the image and I think it’s neat that you photographed such a common subject in an uncommon and tasteful manner!

Thank you, very much for the review. I will give your ideas a try and email you the result. Robert