3 in 1

Taken this at a plant nursery when coming home. Personally I love the color of the flower and background as the green background gives some additional value to the flowers.

Specific Feedback Requested

Wanted feedback from experts on how I could have done better

Technical Details

Canon 70 D with 100 mm macro. Aperture = f/8, shutter speed = 1/125. ISO = 1000, focal length = 100 mm

These are so interesting. They remind me a lot of lilypads. And Lotus flowers in a strange way. I think it’s the center bits. I can’t find any areas of crisp focus here though. You don’t say if you were using a tripod, but it looks like you needed one or a much faster shutter speed. Any movement either with the camera or the subject is really apparent at these close focusing distances. I laugh sometimes because it seems whenever I get the macro lens ready it seems like a monsoon starts up when I really know it’s just the magnification and a small breeze. Darn you nature! Sit still.

This is an interesting plant, with very interesting color and shape, but as @Kris_Smith said, critical focus is lacking. DOF is incredibly shallow at macro magnifications, and any camera or subject movement will also destroy sharpness. This could be a good subject for focus stacking.

One thing that will give a little more DOF is backing off a little so the camera to subject distance is larger. That would be a good opportunity to include more of the very interesting leaves here.

Another issue for me here is that the very interesting center of the one flower seems to be past its peak and not as attractive as the other two.

Hi Miller thank you so much for your useful advise and extremely useful.

Hi Smith thank you so much for your feedback . I haven’t used tripod here and definitely will have to use in future work