Wild Flower

Captured this beautiful wild flower with my macro lens and thought of sharing for feedback

Specific Feedback Requested

Critical feedback

Technical Details

Canon 70 D with canon 100 mm macro lens in aperture priority mode. Aperture = 11, shutter speed = 1/160, ISO = 5000. Handheld

It is a beautiful wildflower, for sure. I really love the color of it. If it were mine I think I would try darkening/blurring some of the brighter spots in the background, like right below the flower (the stem) and up in the top right which looks like it might be a flower bud. I like the 3 yellow staman and the one blue that almost blends in with the flower. Nice shot.

Hi Shirley

Tank you so much for your feedback and suggestions. To be frank I am very weak in using editing apps and need to learn PS soon

Editing is fun so don’t let that overwhelm you. Let what the image needs be your guide. This one doesn’t need much. It reminds me of a flower I used to photograph in New Hampshire when I lived there. It was called Blue-eyed Grass flower and was a member of the Iris family. It made the cutest little seed pods you ever saw.

But yeah, I agree with Shirley’s observations here. The flower is the main attraction and it’s very sharp so I’d see if I could enhance that detail with some additional work in post. One thing I would do is increase the local contrast - clarity - in just the flower. I might also see if I could darken the background slightly. All of these things can be done in Lightroom very easily with masking, as well as Photoshop and Adobe Camera Raw. Hit us up if you’d like some guidance there.

Very nice! There are so many wonderful editing apps these days – it’s like being a painter without all the initial work.

Are you shooting raw files? Just Adobe Camera Raw or other raw converters have many great tools these days.

Very well done. You might have gotten away with f/8 here because you were faced on the subject. That said the f/11 soften the background pretty well. Read about the background mask in ACR, it works very well. You can also select the flower and then invert the selection to get the background. I use that all the time.