Flower bud with visitor

Description:

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques: f-11, 1/1800 with iso 800 used focus stacking with four photo stack. Removed large leaf from right.

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites) no

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

elwise44

Wayne, I like this, but my first thought is did you use some sort of art filter when processing? You didn’t say if you did some kind of art filter or not, but it does look kind of like it has “painterly” look to it. Nice colors of the flower too. Impressive.

Hi, Wayne. I agree with Shirley that it almost looks like a painting but wow, is it beautiful! Excellent sharpness, detail, and color, with a flattering background.

This is a gorgeous and very interesting subject but I think the “filter” look may be some very bad sharpening. This is certainly worth a retry. I think if you use Topaz Denoise and let it choose the settings with Auto, you would get a better appearance. Some of the sharpening setting in some of the software are just not good. You might try a subtle amount of Texture or Clarity on the raw file first if needed.

Repost to show the actual flower in full bloom. As Diane suggested this post is subject only to Topaz Denoise and Topaz Sharpen “automatic mode”. While the “bud” is a bit heavy on Topaz and only minor adjustment to contrast. The flower itself has the appearance of “paper” with bright colors on the outer leaves on both post. Did not use any art filters. Agree that the bud may need to tone down the saturation a bit. Also, I used a four focus stack with the flower to get detail from front to back.

Wayne: My immediate first impression was that this looks like the effect I get when shooting in Illustration Mode with my A77II. I like it a lot. Striking image with a marvelous color palette. :+1: :+1:>=))>

That is a beautiful flower, Wayne. Thanks for sharing the full bloom with us, as well as the info that it wasn’t an art filter.

Thanks Guys, I learned from my Son who’s yard the photo was taken that the flower is called " Strawflower" and the color and texture are different. Thanks again.
Wayne