A bit of a stretch

Green Heron (Butorides Virescens), Ridgefield Wildlife Refuge, Ridgefield, Washington, USA

Specific Feedback Requested

any comments appreciated

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
500mm, 1/500 sec @ f/4, ISO 400

1 Like

Love this! Greenies are the best and this is such a fun behavior shot. The plants its standing in look pretty dense…any idea what it was after?

You caught a great pose to show the heron. Good color and details. What camera do you use?

Excellent pose and superb diagonals in this image. It seems a little tight and I would give it a little more room if you have it. Or is this full frame?

Thank you @Kris_Smith, @Allen_Brooks, and @David_Schoen for your comments.

This was shot with a Canon 7D and 500mm f/4 lens. This is full size width and top so no way to get more room…Cropped from the bottom…

Kris, he/she was looking and finding some very small fish (minnows?).

So, so cute David! I love the stretched out craning neck! Very intense look in the eye, he’s not going to let you distract him! The fluffy feathers on the neck are a really nice detail too. Great capture!

1 Like

Hi David
Very good catch, David if you shoot this hand-help my hat is off to you. You just have to love the eyes.
Peter

1 Like

Very nice, indeed, David. I echo everyone else’s comments. Just wanted to say “nice shot”.

1 Like

Nice job, David. You picked a good frame considering the fixed focal length lens. Was this recent? I’ve not seen one there in the winter.

Hi Dennis, no this was taken a couple of years ago in September. Thanks for the comments.

I love that arching neck and the attention he is giving to his fishing, David.

What an intense pose – I want to keep looking at it, waiting for it to strike!! Great capture!