Green Heron Stretching

Hi All,

Figured I’d post something other than waterfowl and stilts. Shot this in 2016 with my beloved D500. Excluding @Allen_Sparks’s pet green herons, it is rare to get a good photo opportunity with a green heron in Memphis. We didn’t get a ton of them, and they’re generally terrified of humans, like most other wildlife in the area, presumably due to all the hunting pressure. For this fellow, I had to dress in all camo. (including face mask) and arrive 30 minutes prior to sunrise. I set up in some long grasses on the edge of a lake and waited. Eventually, he flew down and engaged in a prolonged stretching routine. This is one of the shots that I liked.

In post, I just cropped a bit, set white and black points, resized, sharpened the bird, reduced noise on the BG, and added a slight vignette. All C&C welcome.

Techs:
D500
700mm, from a tripod
1/1250
f/5.6
ISO 1600

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@feelingruby

1 Like

As I see this posted, it looks like I need to crop in from the left and add some to the right. No time to fix for now.

Great pose with good detail in the heron. I like the perch and background. Agree that a bit more room on the right would give the heron something to look into.

1 Like

Very pleasing image of this Green Heron. Superb pose, wonderful detail. I really like the separation from the darker green background. I have a lot of great blue Heron’s in my neighborhood but have only seen one green Heron in 15 years of living in my house. A rare Egret will show up every now and then. But I sure wish there were some green herons and other similar species.

1 Like

Hi Lyle,

Take some off the left and that should help this comp. Excellent pose and well worth getting dressed up in camo for this shot. Well done…Jim

1 Like

A good example of the striking poses that some birds can make. Well photographed and giving the bird a little more room to the right (either by taking it left or adding it right and make a pano-composition) would improve the image for sure. Well done ! Cheers, Hans