Greenie on a Stick

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I shot this a week or two ago at the same location as I shot the recent Hoodie images. This greenie is always willing to have have his picture taken and there was no exception on this day. He was very cooperative for me. This was late in the day as the sun was setting so the light was pretty soft.

Specific Feedback

Any and all comments, critiques and suggestions please. Thanks for having a look.

Technical Details

Z9, 400mm 2.8 with built in TC, shot at 400mm with the TC not engaged, ISO 2000, 1/600th, f/2.8, hand held, manual exposure It was pretty dark when I took this

2 Likes

Man, oh man! This is superb. I would not change a thing. I’m curious: did you de-noise the photo then selectively sharpen the subject in Lightroom? I just recently learned that technique from a Steve Perry video he just put out. Anyway, great capture of a fine subject with no distractions. Wall-hanger, I say.

1 Like

Hey Dave,
You nailed it! Yep, I used LR’s new denoise function at 22 (this is very low as 50 is the default setting which I find way to high for most of my images) and then did a subject select mask and sharpened just the subject at 60 with noise reduction on 8 for the bird. I have found that if I don’t use at least a little bit of noise reduction while selecting the subject it turns out too crispy and crunchy looking even at very moderate selections. So yeah, that is the only sharpening I do on my images and generally it’s a pretty low number particularly when I’m using that new 400mm 2.8 lens with the built in teleconverter. It’s insanely sharp so most of the images really don’t need much sharpening. Oh, lastly, the first thing I do is denoise before I do anything (well I reset the sharpening to zero first and then use denoise) as that’s what I’ve heard on some U tube channels and I think Steve even mentions that as well. It works well enough for me and I don’t really like the sharpening and manual noise reduction functions in LR. Hope that helps. Glad you like this one. I wish he had turned a little bit towards me as I don’t really care for a static head position but I like the rest of the image. Thanks for having a look Dave. Good to hear from you.

Fantastic image David, amazing work!

1 Like

Wonderful image David. Image quality looks great. I don’t see any noise in the photo and the sharpness on the bird is terrific. Pleasing BG too. Nice to get the whole bird sharp at f2.8. Splendid colors. Well done.

1 Like

Great shot. The color and detail in the heron is excellent. Pleasing background. A+ work.

1 Like

A nice pose and gorgeous background with excellent detail, David. This is a beauty.

1 Like

Excellent image, David. The soft background really gives this a 3-D effect. Nicely done.

1 Like