Green Heron

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Saw this Green Heron at our neighborhood lake earlier in the week. The background is vegetation in bloom with white flowers.

Specific Feedback

Any

Technical Details

Canon R7, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x extender III, monopod
ISO 640, f7.1, 1/1600s

I darkened the greens slightly in post processing using Nik Viveza 3, straightened and cropped. Sharpening using PS Smart Sharpen.

1 Like

Allen, nice catch. Very sharp image of the bird (one of my favorite species) and great positioning on the image and with the background.

1 Like

Nice in-flight image with good sharpness, color, and background. Do you lose light and/or sharpness when using the extender?

1 Like

Hi Terry, thanks for the comment. The extender causes one stop of light loss so this rig goes from a f4 to f5.6 wide open. To my eye, I don’t see noticeable sharpness loss with the 1.4x but the 2x is a different story.

1 Like

That’s pretty much what I’ve been hearing and reading. Thanks for the confirmation.

A beautiful in flight shot of this Green Heron, Allen. You managed the BG well (I use NIK Viveza once in awhile too for things like this. The way LR has the masking these days, I am finding I don’t need it as much, so I haven’t upgraded yet to their new version of NIK. Excellent shot here with wonderful details in the GH.

1 Like

Very good, Allen. Excellent detail and nice wing position. It must have been fairly close to that far bank to have as much detail as you do in the background. One very minor nit-one of the white background flowers is bisected by the upper frame edge directly above the heron’s head and it draws my eye.

1 Like

Excellent BIF image. I like the wing position and the eye is sharp, and the BG well controlled. Where I live on the west coast of FL, they are not as numerous as other herons and somewhat shy and hard to photograph even as a portrait, let alone in flight. Well done

1 Like