Green Heron

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another image from Magee Marsh. There were a lot of birds there I would see here in ORY-GUN and I didn’t have to travel all the way to ORE-AH-GON, Ohio to see them, but for me, this is one of the better Green Herons I’ve captured. I like how the background colors complement the heron. My only nit would be the rather static pose.

Specific Feedback

Your thoughts and suggestions always helpful.

Technical Details

Canon R5; 100-500 with 1.4 TC at 700 mm; 1/320 at f10; ISO 800

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Gorgeous image, Allen and a very good self-critique. I love the perch as well-it has tons of character. Detail in the heron is utterly superb. As you noted the pose could be more dynamic, but I’d take this one any day.

1 Like

I really like this image because of the clarity, the pose, the composition and the detail. I’ve only seen one of these previously in my neighborhood about 20 years ago. I have literally hundreds of great blue Heron’s and see one Egret every couple of years. We also have American Bitterns in our area but they are very hard to come by

1 Like

Allen: I like the pose and perch of the bird. The fine detail and coloratiion in the bird’s feathers have been brought out very well in post. A bit of a vignette would be an option.

1 Like

Allen, nice composition and the background certainly reflects the color in the bird. So the pose isn’t what you want. (Maybe you need to increase your modeling fee LOL) We take what nature gives us. I agree with @Richard_Sandor about the vignette. It could be very subtle but it would add some value change in a rather large background. Tony Kuyper has a free form option in the TK9 panel that can be drawn to include as much or little as you would like.

Here is what I am thingking. Just another way – take it with a grain of salt.
example

1 Like

Allen, you got some great detail, and it’s a nice clean setting. This turned out quite well.

I would suggest tightening the crop. There’s a fair bit of empty space above, and the bird is almost centered, even though your intent was probably to leave more room in front (rightly so, given the near-profile). I think you could lose some off the right and the top and achieve better balance for your subject in the frame.

1 Like