Just waking up

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Out early and cold for Tucson. He/She had just turned around from showing us his backside.
He was in the shadows but, backlit. Really liked the BG colors, which I really didn’t appreciate when a took the picture. Now, ready to go for breakfast.

Specific Feedback

Any comments are welcome.

Technical Details

Canon R6, Canon 100-500mm, 500mm, f/7.1, 1/500 sec, ISO 2000
LR to darken some of the BG highlights and crop. Some BG color adjustments to cool it a bit.

I really like the backlight and the colors of the background, Charlie. Detail in the bird is excellent. The only thing I’d try to work on is those grayish specular highlights in the background, particularly the long ones that cross the bird. Since they cross so many other elements of the background, it looks like it would be difficult, but it might be possible.

Thanks. I did try with a luminosity mask and it went from bright to slight gray. Which is what I left it as.
Tried several other attempts. Any suggestions from anyone would be appreciated.

I don’t know for sure if it would work, Charlie, but since those features are so bright you might be able to get a lights luminosity mask that effectively selects them and then change it to a selection and paint over them with a low opacity brush of a suitable color selected from elsewhere in the background.

Hi Charlie, I like the color rendition on the bird and the pose is nice too. Subject is well placed in frame. I agree with Dennis on possibly toning down the bright highlights on the branches.

Thanks. Sounds like a job for PS, which I struggle with. I’ll give it s try.

The Remove tool in PS seemed to work. Thanks to a friend of mine that showed me how.

Sweet, Charlie! That fixed it nicely.