Green Heron

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This green heron decided to land near me when IO was hid in a bish on the bank at Gilbert Water Ranch. The pond had little water and the leftover moss covered the ground giving the bright green FG and BG. I had my SS up to try and nab a takeoff shot which I did get. I will post that one another time.

Technical Details

Sony A9 II
200-600mmm
1.4 TC
shot at 840mm
1/5000 at f/9
ISO 2000

Hi Kurt, very nice portrait of one of my favorite birds. Well done. Looking forward to the take off image too.

Looking at the full size image I see a bit of crunchiness in the feathers, especially at the bottom. Of course this could be JPG artifacts too.

Congrats on a great image.

Cheers,
David

Excellent portrait of this bird, Kurt. I do notice the crunchiness that David mentioned, but it could just be the extreme closeup-we’re not used to seeing plumage that close. The background works very well.

Nice look at the heron . I like the background and how well the heron stands out against it.

Hi Kurt, a fine image showing off this photogenic bird in a pleasing setting. I like the raised leg too. Well done.

Super sweet image, Kurt. This too is one of my favorite birds although I rarely get a chance to shoot them. Great pose, good light, dreamy background and foreground, and super sharp, maybe even too sharp. Colors look great to me and I like the composition. Looking forward to the take off image.