Green Heron

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was visiting the Wakodahatchee Wetlands near Delray Beach, Florida in mid January. The number of birds nesting in this refuge was incredible. This green heron was perched on a branch about 50 feet from me looking away from the setting sun.

Specific Feedback

Any suggestions

Technical Details

Captured at the Wakodahatchee Wetlands near Delray Beach, Florida.
Nikon D800 with Nikkor 80-400mm
1/400 sec @ f/9 -.67EV
ISO 1250
January 15

Nice perch and techs look good to my eye Ray! I do have a couple of very small nits. I wish it was placed a tad more to the left. The image feels a bit too centered. I also wish you had a touch more head turn from the subject. He is looking away a bit. Like I said small nits. Nice work!

Very nice look at the heron and I like the setting.

1 Like

Thank you, Kurt.

Thank you, Allen.

Hi Jay
I like the head turn, eye contact and feather detail of this Green Heron. There seams to a cloning issue, with floating and blurred leaves?
Peter

1 Like

I will take a look. I didn’t notice anything. I did use the patch tool in PS to blend a few overly bright and distracting spots in the background bokeh, so I may have created a problem. Thanks for the catch. Thanks, Peter.

See Corrections

Hi Ray. I really like the pose of the heron and the perch is nice. I was going to comment on what looked like processing artifacts then noticed that @peter beat me to it. I looked at the post you made with corrections and there are still a few areas that look odd to me, particularly when I look at the largest image. Here’s a copy of your image with the areas I noticed circled:

Thank you Dennis for the time you took to provide this detailed feedback. I will take a look at the areas you indicated and see if I messed up or need to clean up these areas of concern.

Here is the results after making the corrections suggested by Dennis.

Hi Ray, nice look at this heron with fine color rendition. I like the crazy hairdo these guys often have and this is a good example. Agree with the comments above and Dennis did a fine job pointing out further areas to work on.

Thank you, Allen.