Green Heron

Found an error in the second post. This is the third post.

Third Version with reduced saturation. What do you think?

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A green heron captured at the Wakodahatchee Wetlands in Delray Beach, Florida.

Specific Feedback

Are the shadows distracting? If so, how would you correct the distraction? Also, is the brightness Okay? How about color? Subject sharpness?

Technical Details

Nikon D800 with Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 @ 350mm
ISO 2200 -1/3EV
1/400 sec @ f/8

1 Like

The color and sharpness look fine to me, Ray. If you have more canvas I think this could use more room on the sides and just a bit more on the top-to me the heron feels rather crowded in the frame. The shadows don’t bother me but those twigs coming in from the left and the one bright blob in he water near the left edge all draw my eye in that direction. It would be pretty easy to remove them in PS or whatever you’re using for editing. It might also be nice to pull down the brightest areas on the legs of the heron just a bit as that’s where my eye goes first. I love the pose and angle-just a bit of cleanup will make this a first rate image.

2 Likes

Thank for the great suggestions, Dennis. I appreciate your detailed analysis and recommendations. I will make the changes and repost tomorrow.

I like the pose with a sense of anticipated action. Detail looks great to me. The legs on the first image seem a bit bright, but better on the bottom two. Maybe a bit more room on the left, as in the lower two, but the right side seems okay .

Hi Ray. I like what you did in the way of cleanup, but somehow both of the reposts got super saturated in color and look pretty unrealistic from that standpoint. I’m not sure what would cause that.

Thank you, Allen, and Dennis. I had a problem with the original file, so I had to start from scratch. Unfortunately, I did most of the editing last night and I tend to over saturate. I see what you mean and will fix it and repost. As always, thanks for your time and willingness to help. I will look at the dimensions and adjust as well.