Green Heron on the hunt

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Saw a green heron hunting at one of the neighborhood ponds yesterday. I think that is a large dragonfly nymph s/he caught in the last image.

Specific Feedback

This was taken on an overcast day and there was a good bit of glare on the green vegetation. I used dehaze, shadows/highlights, and saturation to try to cut into the glare. Any comments on that?
Any other thoughts?

Technical Details

Canon R7, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x extender III
ISO 2500, f6.3, 1/2500s, hand held

I think you did a good job of taming the highlights on the leaves, Allen. I don’t know if you use the TK panels, but a color or luminosity mask (or both) might let you go even further without making it look too contrived. Also, just painting over the background with a couple of the greens already there at relatively low opacity might do the trick.

HI Allen
Of the first two shot the background is not a problem, the third frame the green is a bit over-powering. Maybe reframing into a 16 by 9 like the first photogram would help. Over all all three photograph and very interesting.
Peter

Oh wow how fun to have been on the spot for this. Once again I am very jealous. Lots of good poses and aspects to show how these little guys earn their livings. The coloration looks right although I’d lower the blacks some there. Agree that the green is a bit much in the bird as it is reflected from the water. The intensity in the first one is so great and the payoff in the end is nice. Crest raised in the second makes it a bit lighter in tone and that also lends to the story of the heron. Thanks for sharing!

Allen,
I prefer these in the order they were presented. I really like that first image with the attack mode stance, ready to pounce. The specular highlights don’t bother me much but I you feel like knocking them down a notch, easy enough to do. I love the feathers on the second image although I would consider cloning out the black thing coming out of the top of the beak near the forehead and also the grass poking out of the water and into the raised foot. The black twig coming out of the water in the LLC corner is also an eye grabber. None of these are deal breakers but just some tidying up if you feel like it. Great catch on the third image. I love your series of images lately.