Green Heron stalking

The first image is an attempt at something a little different for me. The heron is backlit with reflection in dark water (reflecting foliage in shade). Any thoughts?

Second image is more of a traditional flight pose I try to get at my neighborhood boat dock.

The green heron chicks are still in the nest. I’m waiting for them to branch out pretty soon.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Canon 90D, Sigma 150-600 C, hand held
First image: ISO 640, f6.3, 1/1000s
Second image: ISO 640, f6.3, 1/2000s

1 Like

Both images are really cool, Allen. I love the intensity of the first. A couple of nits: The plant to the right draws my eye-it’s tones are too much brighter than the heron-you might try cropping just inside it. Second, it looks as if your focus was just behind the eye on the neck of the bird and the angle of the bird makes that difficult. I’d keep working on that kind of shot, though. It has a lot of potential with much more interest than a straight flight shot.

Hi Allen
Only after I looked at the first shot for the second time did I pickup on the stem to the right. The Heron’s eye and reflection grabbed, my attention. Both shot work.
Peter

I really like the black background. Very intense. I also think you can get rid of the leaves on the right. Green herons are one of my favorite birds. Great pics.

Maybe darken the branch on the right, but for me it adds to the sense of environment. I like the light on the heron and the dark background. I like the overall composition and I think it’s a neat environmental shot.

Love the first shot, Allen. The light, the mood, and the reflection all work to add a bit of mystery to the scene. Awesome.

Nice set of images of this Green Heron. I like the first one and the second one but for different reasons. The reflection in the first one is quite pleasing. First image as well composed as is the second image. I think the crop he used for the second image is quite effective.

I like the thought and intent of this image Allen but the light is a little bit harsh and the focus point was missed just a smidgen. Also, the plants to the right of the heron attract too much of my eye and the scene in general is quite cluttered. The rock behind the heron also pulls my eye. Lastly, I think the boulders compete too much in size with the heron but I think if he was on top of the one to the far right that this image might work if the leaves were not so lit up. I think you are on to something here though and I think you shoot enough at this location to keep trying since I think if everything fell into place this would be a killer shot. I love the reflection and the calm water but again, the boulder gets in the way.
The second shot is a more traditional image but I would prefer to see you try and stick with the thought of getting that back lit or side lit shot as I think you really could have something nice.