A Brooding Twilight

It’s Sunday and time for a Landscape post.

The immediate vicinity where I live in Baja is not particularly photogenic. But I did find something eventually that struck an emotional cord. Perched precariously on a rock over the ocean I took this shot as twilight approached. I shot many with the waves breaking over the furthest point, thinking that that would be the best way to capture this subject. But brooding proved to be more impressive than violent in this case.

GFX50R, 32-64mm

3 Likes

It’s a great shot. You’d be surprised at how many opportunities you may have near you, especially if you are located away from the cities. Definitely a precarious location where you are capturing photographing. If its any help I’d try it again and tilt your lens down slightly, my eye keeps leading to the lower edges of the image and looks like there is some water action you could have captured and would add to the drama of the overall scene.

The camera was tilted so far down that I had to do content aware fill in this image to remove the rock I’m standing on. There really wasn’t a big gap between where I’m standing and what I’m photographing.

Thanks for your comment though. It’s been really quiet here recently. Few comments and few posts.

The subdued, but relatively saturated colors do convey a brooding atmosphere. The warm/cool contrast is wonderful. There are a few odd spots at the top edge and near it, as if you cloned something out but didn’t get it all, or maybe the one is a sensor spot. I think this is lovely, and would do well in a series. Do you ever think about doing series?

I’ve noticed that too, by way of feeling somewhat guilty about not commenting as much. I think everyone needs a break now and then. Or, perhaps, with the covid restrictions being lessened, people are all of a sudden getting out and about, and aren’t lurking around NPN. :wink:

Yes, those are actually the bottom of boats. Thank goodness they’re not a sensor issue. I now have two lenses and am constantly going between them. It’s been a constant source of worry that I might be introducing some dust. I now do it in the truck with the windows rolled up. I’ve never cleaned a sensor in my life and don’t want to do it.

Others have suggested that as well. It might seem like a good idea in terms of presentation but I just don’t like it in terms of shooting. I like to be free to shoot whatever I see that’s good out there. Going out with a purpose in mind seems to diminish the experience for me. I just wouldn’t be as motivated to photograph. Discovery is a big part of the pleasure for me.

Bonnie, yesterday I shot a type of picture you are known for. I really like it and will post it soon. I hope the excitement doesn’t wear off.

1 Like

I hear you there. For awhile, I tried the photograph-with-a-purpose idea, but it now just feels stifling. I like Brooks Jensen’s process - he calls it “collecting assets”. Photograph what you like, then figure out later if you can make a series from some of them. Making a series is challenging in itself, though.

I too have been away for way too long. I am sorry. With the pandemic, life and work suddenly merge into one giant mess and new responsibilities have taken the precious little me-time that I have away from me.

That said, very happy to see this image here, Igor. The warm and cool color contrast really draws me in. And I am very very pleased with the rendering of the blue color in the ocean. I take a lot of pictures of peregrine falcons flying off of a cliff here and I can say from experience how hard it is to render that blue pleasantly.

The only other comment that I have is the somewhat “crooked” impression that I get; perhaps because of the lack of horizon and slanted lines from the waves and the rocks. Not a negative, just something that catches my eyes.

Igor
Really need to view this large to appreciate. I like the muted ocean color against the rock. I also try to make the most out of what is " in my back yard". When I spend the time exploring I usually get a surprise.

I like this as presented, except there are some artifacts along the top edge that could be cloned away. The subdued processing of color does reinforce a brooding feeling. It creates an almost “twilight” feeling, whether or not this is actually twilight. And the diagonal tilt of the rocks adds a nice dynamic feel to the image. I especially like the amount of negative space that you left at both the top and the bottom of the image, it adds a lot to my appreciation of the image. If I had to add any suggestions, I might slightly burn the area along the bottom edge, but that is a matter of personal taste.

I have not been around much at NPN the past 10 days, the weather conditions finally cooperated enough to get some good spring shooting in after a very late start to the season here.

Ed, you were conspicuous by your absence…

You are right about that. I therefore changed the title.

@Mario_Cornacchione, @Ed_McGuirk, @Bonnie_Lampley, @Adhika_Lie, @james19

Thank you for your comments. This was a pretty straightforward image so there was little to suggest. It’s not a particularly uplifting image so I’m not surprised about the reaction. Although it was never intended to be uplifting it was shot a bit different than what is presented. There was a horizon line with a sky and boats in the initial composition. There were also rocks to the right. I eliminated all that to emphasize the brooding quality. I chose to feature the small rock at the end as a central object for this purpose. That’s why the other small rocks were cropped out.

The initial attraction to this subject was the incredible texture of that huge white rock. Things took off from there.