A busy morning

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Panorama captured hand held on the early morning of the annular eclipse (14 Oct 2023) in the Valley of the Gods, UT. It was a lovely morning with crisp air, bright clear sky and I was full of anticipation for the upcoming event later in that morning.

Specific Feedback

I wanted to deliver a sense of vastness but is there too much ‘negative space’, e.g., desert valley floor and/or blue sky?

Technical Details

Camera and lens: Nikon Z7 with Nikkor 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR S.
Settings: 1/500 sec., f/5.0, 100mm, ISO 100. Facing roughly south east.

Hello Stephen! I hope your anticipated photography and witnessing of the annular eclipse was everything you hoped for! This panorama captures the vastness of the area well, but as with all ‘bluebird’ skies, they can feel too empty and sometimes press down on the elements in the frame. I would suggest a slight crop off the top to minimize that sky space; I would also think that a very slight lightening of the darker areas – perhaps just the shadows slider, would help to keep the bottom of the frame from feeling very weighted. I did a little work on the image based on my comments for your reference.

Brenda, thank you so much for your critique! I have to agree with you as well. A little hair cut and lighten the foreground does indeed help. Thx, Steve