A couple of Palm Warblers

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I finally made it to Magee Marsh, a place I’ve wanted to visit for several years. It was a great experience, though I found the photography challenging-the lighting was variable and the small birds rarely stayed in one spot for more than a second or two. The Palm Warbler was one of the more common warblers. The boardwalk was comfortably crowded, but everyone was polite, well behaved, and helpful, reinforcing my opinion that the world would be a much better place if everyone was a birder.

Specific Feedback

Any helpful hints appreciated.

Technical Details

Canon R5; 100-500 with 1.4 TC
1)1/320, f8, ISO 800 420mm
2)1/1000, f10, ISO 2500, 700mm

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Both shots are very nice, Allen. I find that I prefer the first marginally-the background seems to compete less with the bird in that one and the colors seem to work a bit better with it, but the second is definitely nice and the birds in both images are great. In the second image there’s what looks like a human cut hole or something in the lower left corner-it just looks too regular to be natural and I’d be tempted to try removing or modifying it.

1 Like

Oh yours are so much better than mine! These are migrants where I am, but the lowest edge of their summer range looks to be in the northern part of the state & I ran across a couple of these the other day, but didn’t know what they were and didn’t get anything nearly as good as this. They’re so flitty and unpredictable! Great job with the colors, poses and backgrounds. Lovely light and detail.

1 Like

These are really nice Allen. I really like the poses and the colors. Having just returned from South Texas, I understand how hard it is to get these warblers to sit still for a second or two. I’m wondering if bubble gum would work . . . probably leave to big of a mess.

1 Like

very good job very difficult conditions with respect to lighting and Vegetal growth. I bet getting there was half the fun. The quality of the image is excellent with superb clarity. I like the composition. Thanks for posting these.

1 Like