A Creek on a Rain Day + alternative

I pulled off the highway to explore an area that had some waterfalls. Well, I never made it to the falls but I did have an epiphany of sorts in this area. I started to see the forest as a series of overlays of shapes and patterns. And the more I looked at it the more compositions became evident. Another words, instead of looking for specific subjects I started to look for integrated lines, colors, and shapes.

This all occurred on a wooden bridge over a creek. After several rejected comps I decided to not be so centered on the creek per se but to make it about the thicket that hung over the water. The idea seemed sound but when I got it on the monitor I decided that I had gone overboard with the branches and came up with this crop.

BTW, off Oregonā€™s highway 58 between Lake Odell and the tunnel.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

The idea is a stretch. Some days I like it more and some days less. The idea was to have these sweeping lines come across the canvas. Does it work for you?

Any pertinent technical details:

D810, Tamron 24-70@38mm, f/16, iso 64, 2.5 sec

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I like the concept here, Igor.

The color look very nice, and I like the warmer color balance.

Since the sweeping branches are the star of the show, you might consider burning down the trees on the left side a bit. Aside from that suggestion, I think this works.
-P

Igor, the bare branches on both sides of the creek are a very interesting subject. I like the emphasis on the closer branches, with the partly hidden creek separating them from the branches on the far side. The evergreens are critical to the visual balance.

Igor, I like it. For me itā€™s all about the chaos or the fight to peer through all the branches to make out the flowing water. On the fence about a tiny crop at the bottom to eliminate the open space LLHC. I think that spot draws my eye a bit, but then in keeping with the chaotic growth here maybe just left as isā€¦:sunglasses:

Igor, it took me a while but I believe it does work for meā€¦ I do think the LLHC is a bit distracting and a bottom crop might help. I appreciate this interesting approach!

Igor, this works for me. I like the warm color balance you used, and like the sense of depth created by the different layers in this scene. I actually like the dark wedge in the LLHC, I think it makes the image more dynamic than if it was cropped away.

Thank you @Preston_Birdwell, @Mark_Seaver, @Paul_Breitkreuz, @Alan_Kreyger, and @Ed_McGuirk for your valued comments. I never even noticed the LLC but I tend to agree with Ed that the space adds to the image. In fact, Iā€™m thinking it would be better with there being a bigger break in the branches over there. There is another issue with the composition that annoys me but so far nobody has brought it up.

This is a good and different stretch. I think it works nicely, with the feeling of peering out through the tree and the different layers. The dark LLC doesnā€™t bother me at all. I would clone out the dark branch in the URC, as I find it pulls my eye there. Good for you taking a step outside your normal comfort zone and done well.

I am really enjoying all the intricate details and textures when opening up the large version, Igor. I think this is more about the limbs and the lines and shapes which was your intention. You have given us a glimpse of the river in the BG and that works well as the secondary subject. My only suggestion would be to clone out what appears to be a fallen limb in the LLC.

Exactly Igor. For me anyway, itā€™s all about ā€œseeingā€ not just photographing subjects.

This one I can see, although to be honest this one takes a bit more time to appreciate. The subtleness and quality of light come through nicely in the larger view. I don find the bottom and upfront tree to be a little heavy and if mine I might crop up from the bottom, maybe half the amount to where the river begins. I do like how the late autumn trees up front open up to reveal the river and background.

Lon

I was wondering when someone would suggest this crop. I believe that this is what you had in mind.

I have gone back and forth several times and I find I prefer the original post.

Igor, I thought I would like the second post with the crop from the bottom however, I prefer the original. To me it is more complete and the extra bit of the river in the scene seems help provide balance and flow (pun intended). Thanks for reposting.

Pretty close. Was thinking not so much of a crop. But I think my description of ā€œhalf the amount to where the river beginsā€ is vague since I see the river can be seen all the way at the bottomā€¦ To say it differently, perhaps cropping to remove the dark area LLC. And more just as an alternative - not sure my crop improves things at all, but what the heck, here it is anyway

1 Like

Thanks, @Lon_Overacker. Thatā€™s what I like about the new NPN: you can download the image and show what you mean. Sometimes itā€™s hard to get a point across verbally.

There is an interesting observation about this actually. Do you help someone by redoing their image or do you take the pleasure of discovery away from the person? If someone redoes an image itā€™s no longer ā€˜yourā€™ work, so the sense of pride is diminished somewhat. I was thinking along those lines. This discussion probably doesnā€™t belong here but Iā€™m interested in your thoughts, and anyone elseā€™s.

Igor, that LLHC crop was my original thought and I like this much better with this cleaner look. For me it immediately keeps my focus toward peering through the branches to see if I can make out the river areaā€¦:+1:

1 Like

Igor - yeah, might be a good topic to start in a discussion forum. But to answer here I would just say that for me, my goal is to make my images ā€œthe best they can beā€ and whether or not I ā€œdiscoverā€ options or things that improve an image, or I get feedback/suggestions from someone else, doesnā€™t change the fact that the image is ā€œmineā€. If anyone is concerned that a modified image by someone else means itā€™s no longer ā€œtheirsā€, then they should post in the regular gallery and not a critique gallery.

Again, MHO, but when I offer suggestions to that improve someone elseā€™s image I do so for only that reason - to suggest to ā€œmake an image the best it can beā€; certainly not to diminish or take away the fact or feeling that itā€™s their image.

Another factor is, each one of us runs in to the same issue when processing our work. We very often easily overlook things/improvements simply because weā€™ve looked at for so long and through just one lens. Even something as simple as an errant stick on the edge of the frame - some times we just donā€™t ā€œseeā€ it. Having someone else point it out doesnā€™t diminish the pride I may have in any given image.

Sometimes we just donā€™t see the forest for the trees, if I may coin a clicheā€¦

Hope this makes sense

Thank you for your thoughtful response. You are right that you have the option to post in galleries if you have trouble with people downloading and modifying your image. Perhaps Iā€™m wrong but it seems to me that people who choose to post in galleries (aside from unsure beginners) are very experienced photographers who have tried everything to improve their images and simply donā€™t want to see people commenting or making changes to an image that they have already considered and rejected. I can understand that. I often didnā€™t make suggested changes because I had already made them prior to posting and know what they would look like. I have since modified my views and post changes I feel are not useful just to let viewers express their opinion.

What I was actually trying to communicate can be best conveyed through my experiences with fishing (donā€™t laugh). When you fish for bonefish at Christmas Island you are assigned a native guide who will wade next to you and point out the fish to cast. These natives are so good that they will spot a fish long before you will. Often you will be asked to cast to a fish you donā€™t even see. Heā€™ll say ā€œ45 feet to your right. Stripā€¦ Strip the lineā€. You do as youā€™re told. And you feel the fish and bring him in. After my initial trip to this wonderful island I always refused any services from a guide. I would rather catch fewer fish on my own than be helped to catch more. I had the same experience once on a Mexican fishing trip. The guide cast to the fish, hooked the dorado, and handed me the line. I just refused to take my rod and told him to reel it in himself. What Iā€™m getting at is that help sometimes robs you of the pleasure of learning and discovery. Iā€™m wondering if there is an aspect of this in reworking someoneā€™s image as well. I guess what Iā€™m saying is that making a picture be ā€œas good as it can beā€ is good but how you get there is also valuable (the journey).