A Double in Paradise

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Spring showers in Paradise Valley often produce rainbows that I can photograph from the deck of our house. In May and June, the end of the bow is easy to place on my neighbors house. In this case there’s still alot of rain falling as shown by the texture in the sky, which means a nice strongly colored bow. In this case it’s an almost complete double bow.

Technical Details

R5, 24-105 @ 24, 1/160 s, f/14, iso 200, tripod. A three shot panorama to get the full bow.

2 Likes

Perfect! What amazing light!! And under to top of the main bow is a secondary feature I don’t recall noticing in rainbows before. Maybe due to the size of the raindrops?? Augmented by a polarizer?

I’m wondering if your neighbor found a pot of gold there! I’m also curious about the extra violet/indigo layers under the lower bow. Did you use a polarizer? Super shot, Mark.

Mike, the extra colors “inside” the main bow are called Supernumeraries (briefly described here). They arise when the raindrops are small and have a limited distribution of sizes. I probably didn’t use a polarizer, since this is a 3 shot pano.

Thanks @Mark_Seaver - I’ll look for these next time I see a rainbow (even if it’s from the garden hose).