A forest hall of trees

What technical feedback would you like if any? Every comment is welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any? All , that can help me make progression

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Lovely shot Ben, I love the colors, repeating pasterns of the tree trunks and contrast between the black tree trunks and vibrant colors. I think I would clone out the empty sky.

Thank you, Blake for this good advice you gave me !

This is very well seen and very well composed, Ben. I don’t mind the white skies but I think the image could use a very slight CW rotation. And also, there is a green tint all across the image. Should have been a very easy fix, too.

Thank you, Adhika for looking at my work and comment. The problem for me is that on my Mac screen I see a green tint. But not on my calibrated Eizo screen, on which I processed this image.
I think this is maybe the problem in the digital world. I hope you keep following me with your valued advice.

Ben, this is nice peaceful woodland scene, which has a feeling of depth to it. I like how you are able to see so far into the forest. Finding these type of views is often not easy to do in the field. I also think that the panoramic aspect ratio is very effective as well. My only nitpick in terms of composition is that I wish there was a little more breathing room to the left of the tree near the left edge of the frame.

On my monitor the yellows and greens, especially in the ferns, look a little too saturated. When I brought this into Photoshop, I noticed that it had an embedded color profile of Adobe RGB. Generally one should use the narrower sRGB color space for web display, sometimes when images in the Adobe RGB color space are viewed online the colors can look more saturated than they do on your monitor at home. Most people process their images in LR, PS, etc using a wide color space like Adobe RGB or Prophoto RGB, and when they go to display them on the web, they convert the Jpeg images profile to the narrower sRGB color space. Some web browsers will see Adobe RGB correctly, but some will not. You may want to check this out, it may be part of the reason the saturation looks so strong to me. Or that just may be your creative intent, and if so that is okay.

Ben,

Great job of filling the frame with a nice balance between the trees and fern-covered forest floor. I like the colors and think they’re within the believable range; maybe its not the saturation, but luminosity in the ferns?

I don’t mind the sky peeking through, although you might consider the little patch in the left hand tree.

There’s something odd going on with a few of the tree trunks. Looking mostly at the main tree/trunk on the right, the lower part of the trunk is darker and more green, where the same trunk is lighter and more magenta above - with a distinct transition between the two. A similar think is going on with the smaller tree near right edge and several other trees throughout if you look close enough. Have no idea - mosses emerging just to a certain height? You have any ideas Ben?

Lon

Lon. Again I am so happy with your remarks. I think that I have been to enthusiastic with PP. I make this image from raw again, because in the original there are no green parts on the trunks.

Ben

Thank you, Ed.I think I have been to enthusiastic in PP. I will make this one again from raw. It will take some time but when I place it again here on NPN, I hope for your comment.

Ben

Lon. Again I am so happy with your remarks. I think that I have been to enthusiastic with PP. I make this image from raw again, because in the original there are no green parts on the trunks.

Ben

Ben, what I’m saying that your processing of saturation may be okay, it may instead be a matter of how you create JPEG files for web use. It comes down to the workflow of how you originally process a raw/TIFF and then how you convert it to a JPEG for web display. We would need to know your workflow. The key is somewhere in that work flow, you need to convert the raw file from what color space you are processing it in (Adobe RGB it appears), to a Jpeg in a different color space, sRGB.

For example I process raw files in Lightroom using the Prophoto color space, and then sometimes bring the raw into Photoshop for further processing, and save it back to Lightroom as a TIFF. I could do this in either Prophoto or Adobe RGB color space, and get pretty similar results. From Lightroom I take that procesesed raw and export it as a JPEG, specifying in the LR export dialog that my file settings for the JPEG should convert the Color space profile to sRGB color space. This ensures that it will display properly on the web.

You may not be using too much saturation in your original processing what I see could be due to your Jpeg not being converted to sRGB. Tell us what your workflow is, and we can help you.

Ed, thank you for your extensive comment. I am working on an answer. To do it right is a bit tricky for me as a dutch person with no english schooling .

I am testing a few things before I will answer you in a few days. I will post another image to see the result so far.

Ben

Following along on one of Lon’s comments about the tree trunks: The larger tree trunk in the lower right doesn’t just change in color, but also in width; it is narrower, as well as darker and greener, on the lower portion. It reminds me of some of the errors that can show up in a focus stack/blend when multiple images are combined.

Lon and Ed
My workflow.
Is almost the same as yours , Ed.Exept that I don’t use lightroom.

About the green trunks
I use TK luminosity masks in the V6 panel. For example for masking the mask and paint in what I need for the image. I also give it a bit of blur. There it’s going wrong I think.
Next to this I use my apple mouse for everything . Maybe I should use something like a wacom tablet ?

About using srgb .
I have tested with my latest simple image (the path to follow)on NPN using srgb and the images next to each other on one monitor are the same.

Again I am very thankful to you both. It took me some time butI have learned a lot

Lon and Ed
My workflow.
Is almost the same as yours , Ed.Exept that I don’t use lightroom.

About the green trunks
I use TK luminosity masks in the V6 panel. For example for masking the mask and paint in what I need for the image. I also give it a bit of blur. There it’s going wrong I think.
Next to this I use my apple mouse for everything . Maybe I should use something like a wacom tablet ?

About using srgb .
I have tested with my latest simple image (the path to follow)on NPN using srgb and the images next to each other on one monitor are the same.

Again I am very thankful to you both. It took me some time butI have learned a lot

As long as you embed a color profile, some web browsers will display color properly even if the embedded profile is Adobe RGB. The web browser you use to view NPN is doing this if it looks the same in PS and on NPN. But not all web browsers correct for this, thus some people viewing your images on NPN will see different (and likely over-saturated) colors. Many people convert their final Jpeg for web viewing to sRGB to ensure everyone sees it the same way.

1 Like