A group of Palamedes Swallowtails

And a crop that I think I like:

Another from the same shoot as the previous post.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Canon 5D2. 70-200 at 200, f/11. 1/1000, ISO 800, handheld. Shadows and Highlights in LR, into PS for NR (barely noticeable at 100%) and a little BG softening in a few places. About a 50% crop for the top one.

1 Like

Oh wow, Diane, I have never seen that many Swallowtails in the same place at once. What a treat that must have been. And you had your camera ready.

Impressive! Hard to catch one butterfly sitting still for a photo, much less a half-dozen! I think I like photo #1 best. #2 seems a bit cramped to me, but I always seem to like a looser crop with more habitat in the shot than most people. Well done!

Ouch, ouch, ouch! That looks like a very picky perch, but probably not so much with tiny feet. Great group portrait for sure. They seem like they’re so intent on each other they didn’t care about you. I prefer the first image with all of them together. Super background and the colors look natural and rich.

I like the first version with the extra space around the scene. An excellent behavior shot that shows the limited resources available to these butterflies. Well done…Jim