A kiss for sister

Or possibly brother. Actually I think it was judging by how 2018’s twins looked later on. But at this stage it can be hard to tell. These two were fooling around in the back and I was on the deck with my old 100-300mm zoom and so could creep over to the railing to get this. I have a few other shots of them being sweet together here and can post them later, but oh, this is the best of them. The light kept changing with clouds moving over the sun and this also has the softest light because of that. I never get tired of seeing our deer - mostly a gang of does. One or two usually have twins and I never tire of seeing them either even though they eat my flowers. Brats.

Specific Feedback Requested

It’s a bit of an awkward crop because just to the right is an ugly pile of firewood. Also it could be sharper, but I’ve since upgraded my glass and this is a reason why. Nice little lens, but the Leica is so much better.

Technical Details

Handheld, probably braced on the railing a little.

A kiss

Lr for crop and a bit of white balance and lens correction. Also some adjustment to the tones and color. Topaz Sharpen to enhance detail and reduce noise. As I’ve found, it’s better to do a little of that in the RAW editor before exporting to that software.

1 Like

More of our resident deer. From 2021.

A doe and a photobombing chipmunk. I was just reading in a chair when she came on through, completely oblivious. Then she spotted me. Whazzat?!

And one of her twins having a scratch. The flies were driving her batty and she kept running around trying to get them off her. Poor little thing.

So sweet, Kris. We also have a herd of deer who come through on a daily bases. In the next several weeks the fawns will start appearing, my very favorite time of year. Yes, perhaps the crop and soft lighting aren’t ideal. . . .but the those two deer steal the show.

My feeling is that anytime you can capture wildlife in unguarded moments, take the shot and worry about technicals later if need be. Terrific behavioral shot.

1 Like

How sweet!! The crop for the first one is fine, with the barest hint of something there that you have chosen not to include.

I’ve hardly seen one so far this year. My friends in town say they are all down there. Eating flowers.

Thanks @linda_mellor, @terryb & @Diane_Miller - anytime twins come through we stop and watch. Lucky if I can get some shots, too.

You’re right, Terry, unguarded moments, especially with young animals, are pretty amazing.

Deer and flowers. Oy. They have the whole woods to chow down on and they have to come get my flox. Or whatever. Brats. But they were here first so…

1 Like