A Lake and a Mountain (2) with Repost

Repost:

This is an image from the same place and time as the image I posted about a month ago titled “A Lake and a Mountain”. I know that it’s a very uninspired name but I’m terrible at coming up with them so this will have to do.

Anyway, I’d love to hear your thoughts on this – the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5D IV, Canon 24mm TS-E, 5 seconds @ f/8

3 Likes

I am liking this one, especially the beautiful golden tones in the reeds and up on the mountain. The shape of the reflections and the shoreline nicely lead me into the scene and up to the clouds. No suggestions here. I am curious if you made any images without the shore and trees. Hard to tell whether that would work at all.

1 Like

This is a nicely balanced image, Tom. Well done. I like the golds and the sky is a nice backdrop. I think I see some haloing around the trees on the right especially the tops where the sky is behind them…probably highlight/shadow artifacts…

It’s a very peaceful image.

1 Like

a critique masquerading as a movie review…

the Clint Eastwood (Good) - the repetition of the gold tones in the grasses and mountain

the Lee Van Cleef (Bad) - the bad a** look of the clouds in the sky.

the Eli Wallach (Ugly) the haloing on the trees mentioned by @David_Bostock

I think the Confederate gold is buried on that island too, underneath that dead tree :grin:

1 Like

Looks like such a great place to visit and spend time at. I can almost see in my mind trout dimpling on the surface near those gold reeds.

2 Likes

Thank you @Harley_Goldman , @David_Bostock , @Ed_McGuirk , and @Igor_Doncov for your feedback!

I didn’t even notice the halos so thank you especially for pointing that out. I think I know what caused it - I applied some of Tony Kuyper’s “Darks Triple Play” which I generally like but it can cause some haloing in trees. Anyway, I fixed that, I hope, but because I had some destructive photoshop layers above that I had to reprocess it somewhat and as a result it’s a bit different.

What a tranquil little pond/lake you’ve captured here Tom. I have to say that the repost is much better. The original felt a little bit HDR like in the trees an the rework is so much nicer and more real. The ULC might be slightly too blue but other than that I can’t think of a way to improve upon this image. Makes me want to go there and sit in a kayak and enjoy the beauty. You’ve been posting some beauties lately. Keep em coming Tom.

1 Like

Thank you @David_Haynes ! I appreciate your comments. :slight_smile: