A lovely little bluebird

1/100sec at f/5.6, ISO 800
400mm

I’m curious to hear what y’all think of the lighting and colors in this image. I’m not terribly thrilled with the way the branch encroaches on the bird but there’s not much I could do about that one.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Light and colours are good. I like the pose and the interesting tree.
There is LOTS you can do about that encroaching branch and many of the twigs around it. They can all be cloned out or " disappeared" with the content-aware tool.
If you have the pixels, the bird larger in the frame would improve this as well - I’d try to cut out the right tree completely, consider a landscape crop, then darken the light word on the left.
Nice image with good potential -
Sandy

1 Like

The colors look good to me. Although I don’t think it is bad, you could bring up the exposure a touch but tone down the bright wood of the broken tree. I don’t think the trouble of cloning out the limbs would be worth it. If he’s not an uncommon bird in your area, I’d try to catch him again in a less cluttered spot.

1 Like

I like this kind of environmental image. The bird is small, but still has a nice story. Yes, tough conditions with the messy setting, but removing a few branches really changes the image. Here’s a quick version with the most intrusive branches removed.

1 Like

@Sandy_Richards-Brown Typically I like to avoid cloning or healing out any actual nature (people, signs, etc. are fair game in my opinion) but based on @Keith_Bauer’s quick edit, I might give it a try and see how it looks.
@Terri_Barnett I’ll give the exposure a nudge as well, they aren’t as uncommon as a blue jay but they also aren’t all that common, although I do see a couple of them every time I go to that property. I’ll be back there this weekend and see if I can manage a better shot of them.