A Miramichi Bay's Winter Day

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Hockey is the go to activity in winter, whether in organized levels from age 5 up to local teams. After school if it’s not hockey on the road, then it’s hockey on the ice where you can leave the nets up for the next day. This was at the end of a day when players had left for supper time.

Specific Feedback

The mood was quiet, cold, silent. What settings, or editing, would have conveyed that more.

Technical Details

I’m using a Nikon D80 with 18mm-200mm 3.5-5.6 lens
This shot at 50mm. 1/80s. f16. ISO 100

Marilyn - I like this image a lot. It effectively conveys a sense of place. I like the emptiness of the image, although I thought some of the foreground area might be removed. I hope you don’t mind, but I downloaded your image and tried a pano crop to see what it would look like. I’ve deleted the image from my files and am posting my crop below. Just something to think about. I also noticed a number of dust spots on the image, which I think you could easily remove in Lightroom. Again, I really enjoyed this image, as well as your description of the scene!

Thank you so much John for your great reply. I am still navigating slowly my way around NPN, and hope you get this reply. Would you mind describing to me what a Pano Crop is? I think whatever you did, makes the image much more communicative.
The Dust spots are the bane of my existence. Where I live had only one place and person to clean the sensor. Both are no longer with us. I would have to send out my camera to Nikon, which I am extremely reluctant to do. I will master visualizing spots in Lr instead. Thank you very much for your help.
Once I understand a Pano Crop, I will attempt it at other pond hockey shots I took.

Marilyn

Hi Marilyn, of course, no problem! I downloaded the image again (and will delete it) and am attaching a screenshot of what I did with the crop. When I said pano (short for panorama), I should have been a little more precise and said 16:9 aspect ratio. I use the cloud version of Lightroom, which is what my screenshot illustrates. I noticed in your bio that you use Lightroom classic, which may look a little different, but I think the gist of it is the same.

I also came across this site about cropping in Lightroom Classic that may be helpful: https://peterthenaturephotographer.com/process/how-to-crop-in-lightroom-classic

Anyway, I hope that helps. I think this is such a great scene with potential for storytelling about your community. It resonated with me at least partly because, although I never played on an organized team, I used to play a little pond hockey as a kid in Maine.