Winter is Coming

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Driving through New Brunswick in October, we’d just been hammered with rain for a hundred miles. After it started to clear up a bit the sky and the few leaves left on this roadside tree left a pretty dramatic effect. I was an NPN member before it took on the new format. My work made it hard to do any serious photography, but now I’ve retired, I am finding more time to pick it up again. I’ve been periodically looking at the site and enjoying the amazing photography/photographers. Looking forward to contributing a few photos from time to time.
Mark and John:
Thank you for your critiques and candor. I decided to remove the second shot because it didn’t add anything to the post.

Specific Feedback

Overall composition, balance, effect?

Technical Details

1. Canon 5D Mark III, 58mm (24-105 lens), f13, ISO 400, -0.3 f-stop, Patterned metering mode. Basic processing with PS Elements 2023.
  2. Different settings on the portrait orientation were 47 mm, f16.
1 Like

Ed, welcome back. I like the first shot. It’s an interesting mix of colorful and chaotic, with the stormy sky adding to a good sense of place and time. In the vertical, you’ve got decent color in the land, but I miss the darker clouds in the sky from #1 and it feels tight.

Hi Ed, this is a beautiful scene, and your pictures definitely convey a sense of late fall. I think I prefer the first image. I like seeing a little more of the boggy area in the background, and the dark clouds add a foreboding feeling, like winter is on its way. The main tree on the left side of the image has a lot of character as well. Thanks for sharing these. I look forward to seeing more of your images here.

Hi Mark, Thanks for your thoughts on this and your welcome back message.

John, thank you for your critique. I agree the second image doesn’t add to the first post, so I’ve removed it.