Snow Day

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

With two rather major winter storms through our area this week, I was pretty disappointed that I didn’t get out with my camera for the first one, but I worked from home and my small yard just didn’t seem to hold anything. I’m kind of a wimp when it comes to winter roads, and they were a bit sketchy.

When storm number two came along, I was determined to go out anyway, and decided to have a stab at small scenes with the long lens from my deck and carport. Also, I was inspired by this group to try varying shutter speeds to catch or streak the falling snow. It was coming down so thick and fast. 1/400s of a second still didn’t actually quite freeze it with a long lens.

I took several images of an evergreen of mine. Looking further, I did a series of the neighbor’s tree, because I liked the touch of color and somewhat chaotic lines in the otherwise very monochromatic (but chaotic) landscape of snow.

Specific Feedback

Any. Something bothers me on the composition. I have one that I liked a little better, but I was dragging the shutter and stopped down a bit making the tree in the background more visible than in this one. I preferred this separation, I think. It just has a more dreamy and (not quite) abstract feel.

Technical Details

Full frame, 370mm, f/9, 1/400s, ISO 1250, +1 exp comp (on auto ISO). For processing, I did a slight crop to put the tree deeper into the frame and, added a little clarity. I didn’t do much of anything from the default loaded in my raw processor, as I didn’t want to lose the atmosphere. I kept it heavily exposed to the right.

Karla, the composition works just fine for me. It’s simple but story telling too. This fits the WC very nicely also… :+1:

Thank you! I appreciate your input on the composition and story. I actually had opportunities twice this week that were spot on for the theme. That doesn’t always happen! :smiley:

Hello Karla @karlag! You hit the jackpot from your deck! This is a lovely image. The composition and the separation from the tree in the background are perfect to my eye. I love the small leaves here and there.

I’m so envious that you’ve had snow. We had high hopes here in the Southern Appalachians, but it’s been a disappointing winter. Maybe February will bring some our way. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@Susanna_Euston - Thanks for your input and comments on the composition. I was pretty excited to see this in the frame. I was not originally interested in those leaves on their own because they’re not pretty colors, but I liked what they added here. I’m glad you enjoyed them too.

I was hoping to go out for some birds on snowy branches, but it just seemed best to stay off the roads. My friends in the country are reporting very bad conditions. I heard they got about 18 inches. I think we got closer to 12. Now there is wind. I think we are ready for a break, if you’d like to take it from here. :wink: