A moment to share

I was photographing the sunset in Cabo de Gata, Almeria, Spain. It attracted my attention seeing this young woman admiring the sunset and sharing a moment with a stranger in the distance.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Overall view of the image. There are many photos capturing sunset moments. Each one may be unique to us because of a story. I wonder if the viewer feels as if being there by having the first person so close in the foreground.

Technical Details

Nikon Z7
29 mm (24-70 mm f/4 S)
1/30 sec (tripod)
F 18
ISO 100
LR opening of shadows, WB sampling the image, dehazing and de noise of the sky.

1 Like

I like that you have included not only a person in the foreground, but also another in the distance. Without them, I think this would be a fine sunset photo but not special. I like their placement. My eye follows her to him and on to the sun. The rock outcropping also leads from her to the man. Showing a portion of her left hand adds a bit of mystery: is she holding a camera? Is she an artist? Is that an easel on her shoulder? Is she taking a photo of the man and the sunset which she intends to use for a later painting? He also raises questions. Is he just watching the sun go down? What are his thoughts? Why is he alone? It also raises a question by me: Do you look for the “green flash” as the top of the sun drops below the horizon?

Ooh, I really like the dark cloud at the very top.

Perhaps the greatest attribute of an image is it’s ability to evoke a past memory or an event and the emotions that come along with it. I am sure I am the only one to be reminded of the ending of the musical Carousel (greatest musical ever written in my opinion). It’s the story of a flawed man who is given a chance to go back to earth for one day to mend the tragedy he created in his family. This is the final scene and it’s the final frames of the final scene that the image brings to mind. It’s powerful and the audience by this time is usually in tears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQal2cBT39k

Marie,

Moments indeed. I have to believe that every nature photographer has been drawn to sunsets and no matter how repetitive, will always be drawn to them. I know I am.

And this one does take me there. In fact, it reminds me of countless times my wife and I have watched the sunset on the Pacific Coast. She, usually bundled up in a blanket - or maybe remaining in the car, which I venture closer to the surf looking for something different to capture with the sunset. I imagine her not only watching the sunset, but watching me. I get that from this image (I mean who’s to say that person in the distance is a stranger???) :slight_smile:

Very poignant. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for this Igor! I’m pretty sure this is a movie that I’ve missed, but now have it on my list to watch. Not even having seen the entire film, the ending comes across loud and clear. Thank you also for sharing.

1 Like

Thank you!. I appreciate very much the feedback. I wanted to know if there was a connection with the viewer of the photo. It helps.

Thank you!. It is nice to read about your memory of Carousel. I will have to watch this being a movie lover as I am.

Hello Jim,
no “green flash”. I love how you went on with all the questions. I read your comment with pleasure. Thank you so much

Marie,

This is such a finely composed photograph that packs so much emotion and wonder in it. From the cloud serving as an upper frame border to the rock on the bottom, the woman is placed perfectly on the right with a diagonal eye line to the crouching fellow midground, and the eye line to the sun on the horizon, but not only that, captured with the sun in mid-sunset. It gives me a very melancholy feeling, almost a sense of sadness as I imagine the man and woman were there together but are separated and yet still share in the moment as the sun sets on them. As if she longs to be with him, but he not with her. I must ask, did she know you were photographing her in this scene? It’s a powerful photograph. Thank you for sharing it.

I truly appreciate this feedback. It helps me so much.
She did not know that I was behind her. She was really absorbing the moment. I looked in her direction and noticed this man basically doing the same. There was a feeling of connection