Beautiful sunset

All day it was heavy clouds and drizzle. At sunset the sun broke through.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
7D II; 100/400 @?; 1/800th; ISO 500; 9.0

2 Likes

Wow, Jim, this is really fantastic. What a color in the sky! I think the person is a perfect addition to the scene, providing scale and clearly out enjoying mother nature’s show. I also like that the foreground is in silhouette. That bright spot on the lower right is an eye puller, but not too much. It might be fairly easy to clone that out, but it’s certainly not a big problem.

Love the image and the mood it brings.

Cheers,
David

Stunning sunset Jim! You captured amazing drama in the sky. The figure on the horizon gives the viewer a sense of scale.

Beautiful sunset indeed. Obviously a gorgeous sky but what I love most is the way the silhouette of the person is parked perfectly between the black of the silhouette and where the orange begins. Very dramatic scale. My one recommendation would be to consider cropping from the top, down to 5:7. My eye goes to the place of highest contrast, which is the silhouette of the person but I feel like I’m getting dragged away (kicking and screaming :wink:) up to the top of the frame where things really aren’t so interesting. I think cropping from the top would give this excellent image a lot more punch, enhancing rather than diminishing the scale. But, do a scroll crop and decide for yourself.

I agree with @Kerry_Gordon’s assessment of a crop for all the reasons he gives. This is really a layered composition and the topmost layer is rather large.

A powerful shot of an amazing sky Jim, I agree with the comments about the crop the cloud formation has it for me. I wonder if it would stand a touch more detail in the foreground.

If there was a “Rule of Fourths” this would definitely follow it, Jim. Agree with the crop suggestion, as it would emphasize the beautiful clouds more. Absolutely gorgeous!