"A Mother's Vigil"

What technical feedback would you like if any?

So I’m going to bare my soul a little bit here. Being relatively new to avian photography, the image was not razor sharp as I like to see them. So instead of pushing sharpening on the mother bird, I decided to go the other way, and put a soft diffusion-glow on it. Am I the only one to do this?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All comments are welcome!

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Sony A7R4, Metabones Smart Adaptor, Tamron G2 150-600mm lens.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

dougbluntphotos

I think this is just an awesome photo Doug. I am certainly no expert, but considering the subject with the baby bird in site, I think the “softer/diffused” glow is perfect.

I’ve seen things like that used before, Doug. I’ve also seen a very light fractals filter applied to kind of simulate extra texture, though I suspect there are better filters available now. I’m kind of surprised we can’t find a specific “feather texture” to apply. In any case, I like what you did here. It’s a beautiful image that requires a second look and that’s a good thing. The only thing I might change is to shave just a bit off the bottom. It just feels like there’s more room down there than is needed.

A very nice composition with the position of the adult and chick; beak and tail feathers forming a leading line to the chick . They stand out well against the foliage. I could see a crop on the bottom and maybe a bit off the top to give even more emphasis to the birds. I think I would need to see the original to fully appreciate the processing, but it does look fine as presented. Very nice capture.

Thank you all. Interesting thoughts. I was trying to keep to the 3:2 aspect ratio, and it was getting a little tight on the sides if I cropped further…but I certainly understand your point. Thanks all!

I really like the pose of the adult bird with the splayed plumage and the inclusion of the chick really tells a story. I’m okay with the crop as cropping further would soften up the bird even more. Interesting image.

Getting this shot with its beautiful splayed plumage and the kids in the nest makes for a grand photo. I usually try for a “tack sharp” subject but, until I read you confession, I was so enthralled with this shot that I did not even notice that it was a little soft. To me this is a wall-hanger.

Thanks Dave. That means a lot a couple of levels. Because I usually get discouraged when an image isn’t tack sharp, as I always strive for it…yet this image has had a pretty decent impact on folks without being absolute dead-on sharp. I’ve also learned to not try to push an unsharp image towards sharpness, but that it’s ok to move it more towards a softer look instead. So I have a lot to think about in the future…and I appreciate that input.

1 Like