A nice perch to land on

Backyard Bushtit photo.
No hide, just walking around as the flock flies through and lands for a split second
on a Rhododendren bush in the yard.
An Autofocus tryout for a new camera since these are pretty hard to grab.

D500, f5.6 600mm (300 w/ 2x). 1/400, iso1000

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Hi Dan,
I like this cute little bird perched on that bud. Nice head on pose. Good catch. For composition, I’d see about a version that put the bird off center. The head seems a bit soft.

Hi Dan. I too think moving the bird a bit would improve the image. If this is full frame that might be difficult, but moving it further right would help. Maybe recrop to a 4x5 or 6x7 horizontal with everything off the right. The head look just a tad soft to me as well. If you’re close enough to fill the frame with one of these little guys there’s not much depth of field and it looks like the AF might have locked on the junction between the bird and the tip of the Rhododendron bud. Were you using single point AF or trying out one of the multi-point modes?

I think it was more the 1/400 SS…
More motion blur than focus. They move fast…
I could tweet the comp, this is about 75%.

Cure bird on a neat bud, but not an ideal head position.
I agree off-centering it a bit would be an improvement.
S

Dan: a very nice capture of one of these tiny birds that are hyper active. It looks like the camera focused on the flower bud rather than the bird itself. Likely some local sharpening would remedy the slight softness. Well done especially considering the use of the 2X converter. Richard

Really nice look at this bushed hit with excellent perch and background. I do agree with Dennis about the composition.