A Peaceful Ending

Any and all.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any pertinent technical details:

A nice sunset at Rodeo Beach.

D800
24-70

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

The main thing I notice here is the orton effect you added feels a bit heavy, and it’s making all of your crisp details look muddy and smudgy. I would turn it wayyyyy down or remove it all together.

Chris,

This is absolutely beautiful. A fantastic capture from Rodeo beach. I think your processing here is excellent and I have no nitpicks what so ever.

I would be curious to know Chris more of your processing. Personally, I don’t see any evidence of any Orton effect.

Lon

Thank you both for your comments.

Lon, I don’t apply Orton, don’t even know how to do true effect. I do apply a soft glow effect using an increased levels and blurred layer at a very low opacity, usually around 10-12%. Sometimes a little more. I think this was at 12%. Anyway, it is really not that dramatic of a change when clicking back and forth between the two layers. But I like what it does to the transitions. It makes the edges look less harsh if that makes sense.

Also, the reds and oranges are actually dialed back here. The Cyans too. Starting in the raw converter, and again with a saturation layer in photoshop. Other than a little dodge and burn in the surf and wet sand, and a curves layer, that’s about it. Oh, I used Hatey’s 15% clone technique to tame a very small hot spot on the left edge horizon.

Thanks

Looks good to me Chris. The water action in the foreground is really lovely and nicely balances the upper portion of the frame.

Looks absolutile perfect. The balance of color and light looks very natural and the comp is spot on.