A Peak Outside the Fog

An early Spring, foggy day at the Lowe River, Valdez, Alaska. The fog was beginning to clear and this sunlit peak showed up so I had to stop and capture it. This is a raging, muddy river later in the year which is why you see all the dead trees and driftwood.

Sony a6300, SE1670Z @ 60 mm, ISO-100, f/13.0, 1/320, hand held.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Gary, the peak peeking through and touch of blue in the sky balances very well with the river banks. The pile of logs and the trees behind them have me thinking of a wrecked 3 masted sailing ship. The fog and the touch of clearing look good.

Wow! What in image. First of all the technical details are great. The composition is wonderful. What strikes me, however, is the different moods. The bottom is somber and lonely. But the top is hopeful and free. The fog acts as a natural divider. Either scene could be cropped and stand on its own. Nice work!

This is wonderful, and I had the same impression as Mark - the wood piles looked like wrecked sailing ships. :+1:

Beautiful Gary. The contrast between the bare trees and the gorgeous mountain peak (against the blue sky) is amazing. Truly wonderful capture.

I saw the wrecked ship right away, too. An intriguing and unique image. What an amazing peek at the peak. Great capture of a wonderful moment, revealing the majestic mountain behind a river of fog.

Gary, I like this scene a lot. The mountain is beautiful and the fog gives a perfect backdrop for the foreground. I too saw a 3-masted wrecked sailing ship on the left!