A Photographer and His Dog

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Our photography workshop group braved a very chilly morning. Many of us ended up standing in the watery marsh. I hope the photographer and his dog don’t disqualify this picture on this site.

Specific Feedback

I burned the rocks in the foreground because they were so bright. I am not sure I succeded in toning them down enough. Once I was set up with my tripod I did not want to move for a better composition. I hope this one works.

Technical Details

Sony a7iv, at 24 mm, ISO 100, f/8, 1.3 sec.
Processed in LR and PS using TK9 filters to mask specific colors.

1 Like

It’s a lovely scene, Barbara. The foreground rocks look fine to me. I’m not crazy about the grass in the foreground but I suspect that there was no practical way to frame it out.

Here’s a version with a few suggested changes. I thought the area above the golden trees on the left detracted from the image. I also thought the image overall was a bit flat. So I cropped the image to get ride of the upper left and toned down what remained of it. I also increased the midtone contrast. This was all roughly done and could no doubt be improved.

That’s just my taste. Yours may differ and it’s your photo.

The photographer and the dog don’t bother me. I kind of like them. A viewer won’t notice them right away and discovering them is fun.

1 Like

Peter, I like what you have done. The crop works for me. The brightening of the midtones is subtle, but it adds as well. Thanks for taking the time to make the changes. I thought the man and his dog were a “fun” addition.

Thanks, @Don_Peters, for all your helpful suggestions. I have posted a reworked picture with a tighter crop. I worked with the midtones and increased the contrast. Then I worked on the foreground grass to make it less dominant. It was impossible to frame this composition without the grass, without wadding out into the marsh, or climbing up on a very precarious rock, as did one photographer. Again, thanks, Peter. I am much happier with the reworked picture.

I’m glad that it helped, Barbara. The reworked version is significantly better in my view.

Barbara,
I think you nailed it with your rework using @Don_Peters suggestions. I too do not mind the photographer and hid dog. I noticed in the large version the dog appears to be looking at you. Nicely done.