A Rose

This feels monochrome to me…what do you think?

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments appreciated.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 1Ds II, 180 Macro lens, 1/8 sec @ f/16, ISO 100, Tripod.

1 Like

It mostly is - just shades of red and some highlights. Good take on the theme.

Definitely monochrome. Great job on those reds - all the little details are there. So many times reds are presented as oversaturated and the fine details are lost.

David, it’s all red (seems like monochrome to me… :grin:), with lots of excellent details. Roses are terrific subjects and your scattering of water drops lets this one stand out.

That’s pretty sneaky, but I’ll vote to allow it! :grinning: Reds are indeed handled beautifully with lovely detail, and the composition is so pleasing. The water droplets are a perfect touch!

1 Like

Thanks @Diane_Miller, I do struggle with the term Monochrome. The description for the weekly challenge is “Monochrome - Images using a single color.” In that sense, Black and White images wouldn’t apply…because there are two colors technically…most people don’t consider it that way so Black and White is considered monochrome. Anyway, I chose the red rose because I was pretty sure it was one color (had to ask though due to that pesky color blindness issue).

Glad you like the image.

Cheers,
David

The image is definitely monochrome – red and darker red. I would expect minor excursions into other colors but putting a Hue-Sat layer on it and playing with the sliders, it is indeed pure red. (Of course there is a range of color for what it considers red but enlarging that range still doesn’t find it straying into analogous violets or oranges.)

Black is considered just a darker shade of a color (any color) rather than a different color. And the opposite with white – a lighter shade. So by that criterion, I guess pure B/W (with grays) is monochrome without any chrome…

1 Like

What I remember from my color theory classes is that black is the absence of all color and white is the presence of all colors. Hue is the “color” as most commonly referred to. A hue plus black is a shade and a hue plus white is a tone. Just random trivia, I guess. Haven’t thought of it in years.

1 Like