A Snowy Backdrop

We finally had a few inches of snow, so I took the opportunity to get out and capture a few photos. I spent most of my time looking for an interesting snow structure on goldenrod / iron weed. I final found goldenrod with snow hanging down, but as lock would have it, the snow I was interested in fell halfway through my stack. So, I started looking for simpler things to photograph.

Of the photos taken, I like this one the best.

Type of Critique Requested

• Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I used ETTR and I think the color of the snow looks okay. What do you think?

I wish the snow had more structure. The light was flat and so was the snow on the ground. I don’t know if stopping down would have helped. What has been your experience?

I shot a 11 photo stack. There was just a breath of air though and I wasn’t able to get a decent stacked photo out of Zerene. Probably because it’s new to me and I have taken the time to fully learn how to use it.

Because it’s very simple photo, I was able manually combine the sharpest parts of all the photos into one. I was curious of anyone had ever done his before. I know that it would be impossible to do with a more complex photo. It isn’t perfect, but how did I do?

The other thing you should know is that the photo shown has been rotated 90°. The subject is actually horizontal to the ground. I think the portrait presentation is easier for folks to relate to.

Of course, all feedback is welcomed.

Technical Details

Canon 5D Mark IV | ef100 mm Macro | f5.6 | 1/320s | ISO 100
Processed using ACR and Ps

David: A simple but compelling comp and a fine result. I rarely stack but this looks good to me. Without knowing how far the snow was from the stem it’s hard to know what to reasonably expect regarding some texture in the snow. In Kristen’s snow images the subjects are laying on the snow so it’s relatively easy to get enough DOF to get some detail there. Kudos for a fine image. >=))>