Snowing in the forest

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

We’ve had a couple of decent snowstorms (for the first time in 2 years…) so I went out to see what the local forest looked/felt like. The snowfall was light enough so that no individual flakes are seen, but it does obscure the distant trees. This is a mature 2nd growth forest…probably logged 100+ years ago.

Technical Details

R5, 180mm macro, 1/40 s, f/11, iso 800, tripod. An 11 shot stack for dof.

As always, Mark, nicely seen and captured. Sure do envy the snow, beautiful.

It’s a fine shot, Mark.

Mark, I love the serenity of the overall composition. Despite all the detail, there is a peacefulness that is captivating. That one tree with the touches of orange in the bark is a beautiful spot of color.

I love it when snow plasters trees like this! Well seen and executed!

Nice shot, Mark. I can feel the quietness of the forest during the snowfall. Just a question. Was the FS really necessary with the snow diffusing the BG trees.

@Michael_Lowe Michael, yes the stack was necessary, I tried a single shot and only the first tree was sharp. For me, that feels like I am an observer (and it wasn’t very interesting…view attached), while the stacked view does a better job of putting me in the forest while my eyes roam the entire frame.

1 Like

Nice mix of tree and snow. I definitely agree with you on the stack.