Shadows in white

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another flower gone by and adorned with frost. Not sure what kind it is, but they were bent over like this and I really like how the background glowed just a little bit.

Specific Feedback

Thoughts on placement and whether or not the bg actually works.

Technical Details

Tripod
A 10-shot stack

Lr to get source images in shape contrast-wise and also with some adjustments to color, wb, texture & sharpening. Nothing too crazy. Zerene for the stack. DMap with details from PMax and source images added during retouching. TIF massaged again for good tonalities and texture.

1 Like

Another lovely frosted seed head image, Kris. It looks a lot like my blanket flower seed heads, but it could be anything in that family. I like most of the background but I think I’d bring the browns down a bit, particularly in the upper part of the frame. To my eye, they tend to make it look like the photograph got dirty. It feels to me as if the image could use just a tiny bit more room on the top. Great find.

P.S. The mushrooms are still going strong in our relatively mild climate-I think I’ll go out later today. The end of the week should finish them off for awhile as it’s supposed to be getting down into the mid teens.

Cool! (Or cold…) The seed heads and leaves are graceful and interesting and the little frost crystals are so nicely detailed. It’s a little distracting that the stack missed part of that leaf but I would have been to cold to get any sort of stack.

I agree about a bit more room on top but the browns don’t bother me. They add a bit of interest that gives it some authenticity. (Not that anyone would think it’s a studio shot…)

Kris: Nice find and I applaud your persistence and patience with getting the captures for the stack. What struck me was my own expectations for a subject like this. My very first impression was that I would like a bit more exposure. My second was, “Why is this flower horizontal?” Just for fun I brightened it and rotated it and all my trepidations went away. I think that says more about how we perceive things and the preconceived notions of what “ought” to be. Nice shot and thanks for stirring my old brain cells. >=))>

Nice idea, @Bill_Fach! The leverage factor was a bit of a quandary in the OP – what’s holding it up? Halfway in between could also work if you want to keep the snow more on the top. Great find and presentation in any case!

Ha - nice idea, @Bill_Fach, but the frost crystals would be growing in a way they never do. In fact the stalk was just bent over, its own structure keeping it parallel to the ground.

Glad you guys liked this one. It’s a bit ragged isn’t it? I have more I can share.