In closing

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

One last image from me (and possibly the Flora category) for 2023 and one I took only yesterday. It’s kind of Burton-esque isn’t it?

Thank you all for your incredible and inspiring images for the year. It’s been really nice reviewing and commenting on all the photos submitted and I look forward to doing it all again in 2024. I love that so many of us come from so many places that there is usually something growing or blooming somewhere!

Specific Feedback

Stack look good? How about the blueish bg? I liked it for the contrast to the warmer tones, but maybe it’s just weird.

Technical Details

Tripod
Lazy focus bracketing (meaning I picked the points manually) because it was a tiny bit breezy

Lr to get six images to be in good shape for stacking - Calibration to boost some colors, some texture and sharpening, the usual S-curve for contrast. Zerene for the stack and it needed some retouching there. Lr to fix up the resulting TIF.

Still (cloudy) daylight here on the Left Coast so time for a quick iPad reply. Very cool last image! I love the blue and the only thing this plant needs is a cane! Whatever you did for stacking looks fine and the composition and BG are wonderful! The snow/frost is wonderful and colors perfect. Wishing you and everyone a wonderful New Year!

I see it as kind of Dr. Seuss-esque, too. No problem with background or stack or anything.

Nice comment about the cane.

Kris: A very nice parting shot for 2023 and I love how you can take fairly nondescript subject matter and create a compelling image.
I especially want to thank you for how you stepped up and led the gallery after I had to step back. I’m hoping to get back in the swing of things this year and so far things look hopeful. You have a terrific talent and a wonderful helpful attitude. Blessings to you in 2024. >=))>

2 Likes

Thanks @Diane_Miller, @Jim_Gavin & @Bill_Fach - glad the photo works for you - sometimes you just have to go out and see what’s on offer. It does look pretty frail and croggled doesn’t it?

Glad to be of help, Bill and it’s been fun. Hope to see you more this year!

1 Like

What a way to finish the year, Kris, and for the plant to finish as well. I really love the heavy frost on it, and the curves of the plant. That BG makes it stand out nicely.

A very nice parting shot, Kris. I’m always fond of frosted plants and this is a beauty. The background works just fine.

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman & @Dennis_Plank - it’s the only time I shot in December. Just not feeling it, but frost always intrigues me. If we don’t get snow or ice, it’s all we have within a specific dew point. It’s own beauty comes through though.

1 Like

Kris, this one slipped by me for some reason. A nice Happy New Year image. I am also reminded of Dr. Seuss. Wonderful.

Thanks @David_Bostock - it’s a quirky little thing isn’t it? More to come!

1 Like