A Tender Moment in the Tetons

This was way back in 2013 - accidentally came across this when I was trying to improve my keyboarding in LR

Specific Feedback Requested

General feedback is fine

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D300 , 600 mm

1/640 secs, F 8 , ISO 1200

I like the slice of life feeling here. Looks a bit overexposed and a bit on the magenta side. Warming the white balance a little might bring up some of the richness in the colors. Seems like it might have rained recently by looking at the bull’s fur. Nice environmental image and I’m glad you stumbled on it. Elk have been reintroduced into Wisconsin, but I haven’t seen any yet. They’re one part of the state where the wolf population is highest. The only reason they could be reintroduced is because the wolf was in the 80s. I love their bugling.

An interesting image with great interaction between the two, Karl. I agree with Kris that there’s a bit of color cast in the image, but that’s easily adjusted. A fine image.

Adjusting white balance and tweaking down exposure will put this image over the top. The poses of the elk are well captured…Jim

Thanks @Kris_Smith , @Dennis_Plank and @Jim_Zablotny
I wonder if I will ever get this right - toning down highlights / exposure. I had shot this in JPG and tried a preset LR profile - bad idea - hopefully there isn’t much of a color cast now

I just downloaded it because the new post looks even more magenta to me and when I opened it in Ps and checked the color space it was Pro RGB. Definitely fine to work in with a RAW editor, but not great for posting on the web. Try exporting to sRGB and reposting. That might be better.

I would like to see your WB adjustment Kris and post what exactly you did - thanks

Here you go, Karl.

1 Like

I see that you punched it up a bit too !

Beautiful find and lovely interaction !
I find the repost much better, but still… bit high on contrast.