Bull Elk and Rabbitbrush + Repost

What technical feedback would you like if any? This was a stop and a half under-exposed and was in my throw-away pile. Post processing seemed to work nicely.

I followed Diane’s recommendation for removing the dark area in the upper left and for Keith’s suggestions, I started off with some Lightroom adjustments to the histogram which pushed the midtones to the left and pulled the lights and darks to the max. I bumped up the saturation of yellows and oranges. In Photoshop, I tweaked a curve adjustments on midtones and tweaked a little up brightness just slightly. I finished the edits with bumping up microcontrast and small details in Topaz Adjust. Thank you…Jim

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: D500 200-400mm f4 (1/1250 sec at f10, ISO 800; 280mm) Levels, Topaz DeNoise AI, Shadows & Highlights, Brightness & Contrast. This bull was getting ready to bugle and was checking out the multitude of cows that were close by. I was strategically positioned behind a car which served as a blind…Jim

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

This is wonderful! I can’t see any clue that it had been underexposed. I wonder about pulling down the highlights more – there must be a lot of information in them from the original exposure. I’d suggest cloning or lightening the dark area in the UL – it pulls my eye away from the gorgeous animal.

1 Like

Beautiful animal. Always great to get such a beauty in the viewfinder. I find the version you’ve posted to be overly bright. I saw your not that the original was a stop and a half under exposed. I think it was pushed too far. The Elk doesn’t look correct, and the surroundings are too bright. Here’s a version with adjustments that correct the issues I see.

1 Like

Jim, I really love Keith’s repost - an improvement on your excellent composition. How nice to see the elk surrounded by the yellow and green foliage.

1 Like

Keith, thank you. I will give that a try. I like the results of your edits… Jim

Great subject and wonderful capture Jim.
And Keith shows us how a great capture can be further enhanced. :grinning:

1 Like

Jim: beautiful bull elk which you caught looking at you. The corrections with the increased contrast , reduced exposure and increased saturation are a very worthwhile improvement. Richard

1 Like

Great look at the elk in a nice environment. The work done on the repost lets the elk stand out better. Nice capture.

1 Like

An excellent opportunity and a great capture, Jim! The re-post is a significant improvement with much greater texture, colors and details. I was surprised that you stated the original version was under exposed as it clearly looked over exposed to me. The revision is perfect!

1 Like