A very wet Pied Bill Grebe

Taken in Southern California on a man-made reservoir. From a boat. Hazy day. Midmorning.

Specific Feedback Requested

Taking pictures of wet birds in harsher light lighting conditions is always a challenge. There are a lot of specular highlights which need to be removed for the most part.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
ISO 1250, 400 mm +1.4 X, F8, 3200th, 50% of full frame. Yes, I probably could have used a slower shutter speed on this image but my target birds at the time were Clark’s and Western Grebes which were constantly in motion doing their mating ritual.

2 Likes

I love the wet head and the direct look, David. I think you could get away with removing part of the wake.

Might could take a bit off the right, but not a big deal. Love the look of/from the bird! Nicely captured.

What a neat shot, David. I love the look he is giving you. I always enjoy face on shots. Nice.

Very nice!! I never had the patience to remove the highlights on a wet bird. You’ve convinced me it can be worth the trouble.

Hi David
The Pied Bill Grebe is adorable. The wet head just works and I also like the framing. Nice work.
Peter