A Walk in the Park

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 400D, 18-55 @ 18, 1/125 @ f16, ISO 200.

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

On the country estate of Lyme Park in Cheshire lies a stretch of moorland. From this particular viewpoint could be seen a hunting lodge and the rolling landscape of North East Cheshire. Today, much of the view is taken up by the conurbations of Stockport and Manchester - but the old hunting lodge still invites a pleasant walk.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

The tree is interesting for it’s double crown.

That is a fantastic looking tree with lots of character, Ian. I find the graceful lines of the limbs very captivating as they radiate outward. Have you considered a crop from the right and left sides? I think that would give the tree even more prominence as it is the star of the scene. The side lighting works well here as it has created some nice details in the tree.

Wonderful looking tree with lots of interesting shapes and textures. The colors and lighting are beautiful. My only nit is all the dust spots.

Definitely a wonderful tree here, Ian. The double crown is interesting but also the difference between the side that faces the sun and the other side. There seems to be more leaves on the lit side and I think that adds to the image. I do think that the tree is too centered though. This area is worth visiting over and over again.

Your image to me has an atmosphere as in a dream of solitude . With Adhika I feel that the tree is a bit to centered.To me a very nice image.

Ian, I love that you included the distant lodge and hikers in the scene, it helps creates the illusion that the tree is gigantic. It’s an interesting way to play games with scale here. I would suggest a slight crop from the right, just to put the tree a bit off-center (but I would not crop from any other side, they all look fine). The exposure, color and contrast all look good to me. I would maybe add a subtle vignette to pace even more emphasis on the tree.

Nicely done, you ended up making quite a bit out of empty bluebird skies.