Acadia Rocks

Acadia Rocks, literally and figuratively !!

Here is a followup to my recent post on the rocks of Acadia National Park. I am leaving soon for my annual summer pilgrimage to Acadia, and posted this to pysch myself up for the trip. These cobble rocks at Little Hunters Beach have the most amazing variety of colors. I made sure to go here on a day with some light drizzle so the rocks would be wet and the colors would really sing. I also spent a fair amount of time searching for a comp that incorporated a nice mix of warm and cool colors, I especially like the blue stripe on the center rock.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any critique and comments are welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 5D MKIV, Canon 24-70mm f2.8 lens, ISO 100, 0.6 sec at f16

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Beautiful rocks and image. Take a spritz bottle with water for this year’s trip, just in case the drizzle doesn’t cooperate? I really like this one.

Thanks for the comments Harley. One thing about Acadia is that no spritz bottle is needed. Foggy, drizzly weather is very common in “Fo(Au)gust” along the Maine coast.

These rocks are wonderful, Ed. Their colors are fascinating and the reflected light from being wet adds so much. I look forward to seeing more images from your trip.

However, I have a different feeling for the subject than how you’ve interpreted. I would make it less contrasty and a bit brighter. This is the direction I would take this subject.

Great shot, Ed. Each cobble is a little world unto itself. Each one unique in it’s own way.
:vulcan_salute:

Beauty. I really enjoy seeing rocks from different parts of the world.

Nice display of color on this one Ed. I like the red one, it reminds me of a pattern you might see on a bird egg. Enjoy the trip!

Brilliant color and light Ed. I love intimate rock scenes and this is fantastic!

@Michael_Lowe @Harley_Goldman @Eva_McDermott @Igor_Doncov @Bonnie_Lampley @Alan_Kreyger thank you all for your comments and input, I appreciate you taking time to comment.

Alan, I also thought the red one looked like a bird egg too.

Igor, your rework dried the rocks off !!! :grinning:

Actually I have to admit I’m an old Velvia 50 guy, and sometimes love strong saturation. To be fair, your rework is more how these rocks would look if they were not wet. One could argue it’s truer to real life perhaps. But with colors like these I had to turn to the “Dark Side” for this image. The saturation in my image is from contrast, not goosing the saturation slider.

Here is a rework with contrast as low as my taste would go…

Nice. That’s quite a beautiful bouquet of rocks you’ve presented here, Ed. The lighter contrast of the reworked image looks great, but I do like the pull of the deep blacks in your original. I also like the subtle self portrait in the rock on the middle right edge.

Ed: This is very nicely seen and composed. I had to smile when you described yourself as an old Velvia 50 guy. I’m also one of those dinosaurs and I still have a few rolls on ice. If I could find someplace to have it processed correctly I might even break out my old trusty film camera. I love the variety of colors and tones here and the wet look. I often use a polarizer on this kind of subject to get varied effects. Acadia is on my bucket list so I’m looking forward to your images. >=))>

I will take the original post with the contrast. I like the bold presentation very much.

My thinking is as follows: Round objects by their very shape induce a sense of peace and serenity. I was trying to emphasize this by processing the image in like manner.

If the comp was diagonal lines or anything with sharp pointy edges then I would add contrast and saturation. So, yes, I believe that the processing was at odds with the subject matter.

Ed,

What a beautiful collection of color as well as such a diverse collection of patterns and designs in the individual stones.

I like the luminosity and contrast in your presentation. I’m not sure if this would have done anything, but am wondering what a polarizer might have done to reduce the slight glare. I think Igor’s rendition does that to some extent - I’m just not sure if I like the elevated brightness. Of course all within the realm of personal choice and preferences.

I have no other nits or suggestions. Quite beautiful as presented.

Lon

I am going to go with your original post, Ed. To my eye this is how I remember the cobble stones of Acadia with their varied array of colors when wet. I have always been fascinated with the wide range of colors, shapes and patterns that one can find with the cobbles on Little Hunters Beach. I am not sure why the stones on Little Hunters Beach are so much smaller than those on Cobble Beach. More wave action I guess.BTW, nice self portrait in the stone toward the LRC.

A beautiful collections of rocks - pebbles - each of which has a long history to tell, from its birth in the depth of the planet through its rolling around in the waves… Looking at all versions, I still like the first one best - it conveys the sense of the “foggy dew”… But yes, I am also an old Velvia 50 guy, and even before, a Kodachrome 25/64 chap…

Late to the party, Ed. But yeah, I like the original, too. Very bold and I like it.