After the Rain

This image was shot actually in the rain in early fall. I have always wondered about the merits of this image. Taken in 2016 with the Canon 6D, I would go back to it periodically to see why I liked it so much. Sometimes I would feel it was too busy but at other times I would say “so what”. This was all about color and detail. Today is one of those days that I love it. Therefore, I’m posting it.

What’s your impression?

Revised:

Original:

2 Likes

Absolutely about color and detail and I like it too. I seldom shoot intimate scenes like this but always enjoy seeing them…and you do them so well. No suggestions just enjoying it.

Love this one Igor. Glad you took it out of the moth balls…

My impression is of fall tapestry, a richly colored carpet of plants. Lovely. My only suggestion is about the red berry/seed pod touching the bottom of the frame. Move it up? Clone it out? Just a nit, though.

1 Like

The richness of colors and shapes speaks to the bounty of fall without featuring gourds or pumpkins. The recent rain makes this even more intense. Bonnie’s comment about a tapestry is apt as well. I can see why you would vacillate with it though - it is complex, but harmonious too. The branch at the top is dominant and makes for a nice anchor. The similarity in shades of green and red give some cohesion despite the different shapes and the profusion of them. So overall I rather like it. You could do some cloning/healing here and there around the edges, but it’s not that critical.

1 Like

From the thumbnail I was expecting not to like this, but when viewed larger it is a lovely image, reminiscent of Eliot Porter. It has a wonderful variety of colors and shapes. The only idea for a change that comes to mind is that most obvious focal point is the brighter green/yellow leaves at the top and that feels somewhat off balance. I removed the border and used NIK Color Efex 4 to place a diffused vignette and also brightened the center a little to help draw the eye more toward the center from the top, then replaced the white border. It’s up to the the viewer if it helps or hurts.

Original

Revised

4 Likes

Masterful composition, Igor, as always. I like what Bill did with the vignette except I will partially mask out the fingerlike leaf on the LRC.

Lovely color and detail Igor. As Bonnie called it, a fall tapestry. I like the vignette that Bill applied. Besides the color and detail, your composition works well to pull it all together.

1 Like

It works very well, the cut out have chosen is great. As you say it is all about color a detail. I am more in favor of the original version, revealing the details everywhere in the frame. To me there is no need to focus on the center.

1 Like

After reading this I went and printed this image and came to my conclusion regarding your comment. I didn’t feel that the leaves were too bright but it seemed to me that the brush in the lower left corner was too bright. And then I recalled that 5 years ago when I shot this image that I thought the brightness flowed out of the llc and was not centered. So I burned in that corner and also burned the top of the frame just slightly although I don’t think it was necessary because the leave point downwards and there is little desire to visually flow upwardly.

I have made the adjustments and really don’t know if it got better. Usually when I ‘improve’ I make matters worse. The problem with a full vignette is that it destroys the details along the edges and this image is all about detail and color. The vignetted image looked like an impoverished version of the original.

@Eva_McDermott, @Mario_Cornacchione, @Ola_Jovall, @Nick_Bristol, @Kris_Smith, @Bill_Chambers, @Bonnie_Lampley

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. I posted the revision in the post.

Igor, your revision is a great improvement IMHO. Well done.