After the Rain

Original post

Re-edit

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was a scene I encountered driving through lava beds in the Oregon Cascades between Eugene and Sisters. A summer rain shower had just ended, and mist was rising from the hot rocks as the sun came out. I was struck by the small conifers managing to grow in this barren landscape.

Specific Feedback

All feedback welcome.

Technical Details

f/11, 1/8, ISO 100 @ 300mm equivalent focal length on a crop sensor Nikon camera. Processed in Adobe PS, TK Panels, and Topaz Sharpen AI.

4 Likes

Hi Patrick,

I absolutely love that scene! I also like your composition.

Concerning the edit, personally, I would have done things a bit differently.

For me this is about the layers and the atmosphere. It looks as if you cranked up the clarity or texture pretty much. As a viewer all those details are distracting me from this gorgeous and atmospheric scene, those three trees which are overlooking the scene like guardians.

In my very quick and rough edit I blurred the details and darkened as well as cooled them down in the foreground. I pulled up the warmth in the fog ever so slightly, so that there’s a cold-to-warm-transition. Also, the middle tree seemed a bit unnaturally green to me. It feels to me as if in all this haze it should actually lose some of its saturation, so I dialed it back a bit. I also deleted the small fourth tree because it’s struggling against the background. Eventually, I blurred just the highlights with some Orton effect to enhance the atmosphere even more.

Anyway, that’s a great scene! Hope you like what I did.

Markus

3 Likes

@Markus_Albert , thanks for your critique! You gave me some nice ideas for working further on this image.

Hi Patrick. I do love the composition and the mood in the photograph. Also, it feels less like a photo and more like a painting. Even more so after MArkus’ edit. I think you don’t need the detail in the darker tones, without them there is less to distract me from the great overall atmosphere. Thanks for sharing.

Patrick, this is a way cool scene with the mist rising off the very rugged lava beds. I like the details, with the trees being a special addition. I do agree that the large center tree seems too green. This might also look very good in b&w, which would let you see how much of a role the green of the trees plays.

I think that this is a killer shot and I like it quite a lot. I love the hard textures of the rocks combined with the smooth texture of the fog or mist. The only thing that is missing for me is a small bit of space at the top of the image to give the trees and the upper most line of rocks a bit of breathing space.

@holgermischke, @Mark_Seaver, @Tom_Nevesely , thank you all for your comments and critiques. I went back to the image and tried to incorporate some of your suggestions. I selectively brightened the top 1/2 with the trees and fog, and kept the rest of the image darker. I removed some of the distracting elements using CAF, spot removal, and clone stamp. I did a little adjustment of the color balance to give a slightly cooler tone. Finally, I added a little space to the top of the image using the crop tool with CAF. I hope you like this version!