Agave Essence

Another thorn-scape from my neighborhood. This is an agave beside a neighbor’s mailbox. It was converted to black and white using the “Divide” blend mode in Photoshop calculations when starting with the image’s green and blue channels and I think 50% opacity. I have no idea why it ended up like this based on these settings, but it seemed to do a nice job of emphasizing the plants sharp edges.

Specific Feedback Requested

The textural detail in the leaves was lost to a large degree in the conversion. It’s still slightly visible, as is some of the color shading. I sort of like it as is, but wonder if some of the leaves now look too blank.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
This is a focus blend of multiple exposure.

3 Likes

I think the smooth texture with subtle detail of the leaves contrasts well with the sharp-edged thorns. It’s perfect as is.

Hi Tony,

The abstract feel to this one is excellent. The position of the apices makes for a nice diagonal sweep of the image. Contrast is fine as presented…Jim

Hey Tony, your thorn-scapes are beautiful but this one is maybe my favourite so far.
To me the b/w conversion is perfect, those black tips create interest to lure the eyes and make them go thru the thorns of the leaves all over the image.
I would try and make this a square crop from the bottom, maybe, removing that gray tip on the bottom can add even more focus on that middle area of the image.
Thanks for sharing.

Beautiful image. Perfect as is.

Tony: Essence indeed and very nicely composed and presented. The conversion looks great to me and creates a bit more impact than I expect one would get from the color version. Keep 'em coming! >=))>

Tony, I love it the way it is. Love the soft texture and the sharp edges giving an abstract appearance. I also like the composition as it. Conversion to B&W just right.

Choice of subject and placement in the frame is spot on. I think I’d play the devil’s advocate when it comes to the b&w conversion. Would prefer a subtle gray tone that would bring out a little shading/shadow to give more depth to the petals.